The Guineas

Gamla Stan

At the Start
Euro, look away now....

PROPORTIONAL is set to stay at home for the French Guineas rather than being targeted at the 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket, for which she is quoted as 7-1 second favourite in ante-post lists behind Rainbow View.
The filly's trainer, Criquette Head-Maarek, has outlined plans for Khalid Abdullah's daughter of Beat Hollow, easy winner of the Prix Marcel Boussac on the last of her three starts as a two-year-old.

"The filly looks well and she will initially be aimed at the Poule d'Essai des Pouliches at Longchamp in May," said Head-Maarek, who has a fine record in the Newmarket Classic courtesy of wins by Ma Biche (1983), Ravinella (1988) and Hatoof (1992).

"She's been fine but we haven't really started with her yet as we can't even canter at Chantilly for the moment because of the snow and rain," added the trainer.
Head-Maarek has always held Proportional in high esteem and was surprised when she was beaten on her debut at Deauville before losing her maiden tag at Chantilly. She then won the Marcel Boussac by a wider margin than Zarkava in 2007, making mincemeat of 15 rivals to score by three lengths over previously unbeaten Elusive Wave. That performance means she was a best-priced 7-1 for the 1,000 Guineas behind favourite Rainbow View, a best-priced 5-2 but only 7-4 with Ladbrokes, William Hill and Totesport.

Head-Maarek is also looking forward to campaigning Ladbrokes Sprint Cup winner African Rose in 2009.
"She's also done well and has put on a lot of weight during the winter," said Head-Maarek. "I don't really know where she'll start, but there are a lot of top sprints round Europe all season."

Bugger.

Last edited:
I migth be alone in this, but I think Rainbow view will miss the Guineas. I can see Gosden talking about her coat and how cold the winter has been, it´s better not to push her, there is no point in forcing a rose to bloom and all that stuff that he likes to refer to when explaining he has not been able to get a horse fit enough on time.
I will look elsewhere for my ante-post bet on the 1000 Guineas, particulary Serious Attitude and Aspen Darlin.

I am already on the 2,000 Guineas winner at 50's on Betfair(CHINTZ), I have had small plays on Dunes Queen and Golden Stream at big prices.

3rd of May QOUTE THIS POST. ta

If Chintz goes over for the 1000G she would have a chance on form , given that she beat Lahaleeb 2 lengths and she went on to win the Rockfel

Chintz is now the value in the race and she has a cracking chance, her time last time out was sensational. I backed her at 40s and topped up today!

A couple of interesting ones for the Aga and his missus...

Darbaza - Half sister to Darjina
Saliyna - Full sister to Slickly

No entries in ours yet though.

Back