The Highs & Lows

Guest_

At the Start
The lows...

The loss of George in America, Teofilo and Alexandrova never making it onto the racetrack in 2007....

Highs...

Kauto Star/Exotic Dancer/Dylan Thomas/Peeping Fawn all getting aggressive campaigns and thriving on them. Peeping Fawn in particular was a highlight for me throughout the flat season.

The undoubted high was Dylan Thomas landing the Arc.

Well Chief in the Champion Chase was probably the biggest low.

Low: The weather. Rain, rain and more rain all summer.

High: Dylan Thomas, Manduro and Authorized being genuine 130+ animals on the flat, with Kauto Star, Exotic Dancer and Denman looking like genuine 180+ animals over jumps. It's been a while since we've seen such high quality racing across both codes in the same year.

Highs - Well Chief showing his class in the Game Spirit Chase after a long lay off. Authorized giving Frankie his first Derby. Denman's brilliant performance in the Hennessy & Inglis Drever winning his second World Hurdle.

Lows - The loss of George Washington in the Breeders Cup. Well Chief falling in the Champion Chase and the announcement that he will miss the whole of this season.

High - When Premier Dane (backed by me at 150/1) hit the front in The County Hurdle with 50yds to go.

Low - When Pedrobob hit the front in The County Hurdle with 20yds to go.

Lows; The whole Breeders Cup. The Derby. Yesterday (Macs). The Weather.

Highs; Kauto Star, Ruby, Tanya, The Fallon Case collapse, Dundalk.

This thread is a fortnight too early. We've still got the King George and Welsh National meetings to serve up a few more highs and lows.

Highs:

On the flat, Cockney Rebel's two Guineas, and Frankie's first Derby
Over jumps: Kauto Star's exciting season, and the Grand National [every year!]

Lows:

On the flat: George Washington, and that dreadful Breeder's Cup, by a mile
also
neither Teofilo nor Manduro having the chance to prove what great champions they were thru early retirement

Over jumps:
Loss of Nil Desperandum;
and the recent spate of high profile deaths on the track

Highs : Aya winning the bumper at Towcester on Easter Sunday (then again at Plumpton!!)

Drever, Katchit, Voy Por Ustedes, Oscar Park winning at the Festival

Going to pretty much every big meeting this year (who needs Gib???!!!!!)

Cheltenham, every meeting!

Lows :

The performances of Bally Conn

Sore shins (gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!)

(it's racing related!!!!) losing my mother's wedding ring after consuming several bottles of champagne at Royal Ascot :shy: :shy: (sshhhhhh, don't tell!!!!)

The weather at Cheltenham on the Sunday of teh Paddy Power meeting!

Highs:-

13th January when Taj won,a day I for one will never forget.

Teddy's subsequent victory at Wolves nine days later.

Silver Birch's victory in the National.

Being at Cheltenham for the reception after Kauto won the Gold Cup.

Lows:-

Material World being pipped by Oscar Park at the festival.

All horse fatalities especially some of my faves,the likes of Take A Bow and Detroit City.

Getting the call that Teddy had colic,desperately sad day.

Oh crikey of course - that day we lost Teddy. That was horrendous, phonecall at 0830 whilst in the tackroom preparing for first lot.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Dec 16 2007, 06:56 PM
Highs : Aya winning the bumper at Towcester on Easter Sunday (then again at Plumpton!!)

Do you own Aya now SL?

Highs: Dylan Thomas, Peeping Fawn, Authorized, New Approach, Denman, Kauto Star, and half the crowd at the Galway races..

Lows: loss of George Washington, horrendous amount of fatalities that have marred the start of this jumps season..

Originally posted by Relkeel@Dec 16 2007, 02:37 PM
High - When Premier Dane (backed by me at 150/1) hit the front in The County Hurdle with 50yds to go.

:)) backed Premier Dane to be placed and a special bet offered by local bookmakers called Ita (horse has to be second) and Trita (horse has to be third) so was horrified when I saw him in front !! good that Pedrobob came on outside, even better after Jimmy, who recommended the above bet and who too turned rather pale when PD´s colours were in front, mentioned, about 5 min. later " Oh, I backed the winner"

some Highs: Dylan Thomas (KG and Arc), Al Eile in Aintree, Monet´s Garden, Dark Missile winning Wokingham, Joe´s Edge winning in Cheltenham, Ravens Pass

some lows: the above ment. fatalities incl. George for sure

Highs: Authorized, Kauto vs Exotic Dancer, Voy Por landing an AP bet in the QM... will hopefully be able to add to that following the KG and Lexus.

Lows: Detroit City, Mac's Joy and George Washington.

Originally posted by crazyhorse+Dec 17 2007, 02:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crazyhorse @ Dec 17 2007, 02:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Relkeel@Dec 16 2007, 02:37 PM

:)) backed Premier Dane to be placed and a special bet offered by local bookmakers called Ita (horse has to be second) and Trita (horse has to be third) so was horrified when I saw him in front !! good that Pedrobob came on outside, even better after Jimmy, who recommended the above bet and who too turned rather pale when PD´s colours were in front, mentioned, about 5 min. later " Oh, I backed the winner"

some Highs: Dylan Thomas (KG and Arc), Al Eile in Aintree, Monet´s Garden, Dark Missile winning Wokingham, Joe´s Edge winning in Cheltenham, Ravens Pass

some lows: the above ment. fatalities incl. George for sure [/b][/quote]

Well, good for you.

It was the best 3 seconds of my life since I popped my cherry!

Highs:
Asia: My greatest moment was to met Silent Witness at HK, say a very personal 'ByeBye' to him - month later see Good Ba Ba win the HK Mile.
Germany: Schiaparelli shows his misjuged talent - won three group one races in a row but unfortunatly was snapped up by the Boys in Blue (one of the lower moments this year); Toylie (like a bottle red win) and his stablemate adlerflug
UK: Frankie to win his first derby on authorized - amazing; Dylan Thomas & (France:) Manduro: two very very special horses; Sakhee's Secret - wonderful and really speedy; Sortita - one to watch for next season
USA: Rags to Riches & Curlin; The Jackson's

Lows: Fallon in all cases; Godolphin in many cases; the loss of many remarkable horses like Barbaro, Detroit City, George Washington aso; Horseracing in Germany; the BC 2007

PS: No Toylsome on Crazyhorse's list - I' m not amused :xmassnowgrin:

Highs: Sublimity in the CH (on @ 100), Denman and Kauto Star, Moscow Flyer finally winning a bumper under Kate Harrington :D

Lows: George & Macs Joy, Kicking King & War Of Attrition missing the season

jumps

highs: Mighty Man at aintree, Denman at Newb and The Listener jumping.

lows: Mighty Mans injury.

flat
high: Dylan Thomas and Manduro, Ryan Moore and Kerin McEvoy.

low: Finsceal Beo after Newmarket, Godolphin again.

At this rate, a major low will be the prospect of Mighty Man being brought back into training. I love this little horse - surely connections can't risk him racing again after such an horrendous injury?

Back