The Horses First Club

Brown Jack

At the Start
There seems to be a lot of changes going on at Simon Earle's old place. First they employed Jeremy Gask in his place, and now the website for the Horses First Club that Simon was involved with is gone.

Anyone know if the club has folded?

They seem to be running Horses First Racing instead and selling shares to the horses now instead of the old monthly subscription they used to have for the club.

Due to Findlay connection (owner Wilmott went to school with him) they get a lot of Paul Nicholls cast offs, like The Empty Tin.

Anyone know where Simon went to ?

Brown Jack, I think Headstrong was or is a member, so she may be able to update you on what is going on.

A little bit about Simon's new base from the RP.

Earle back training after short break
The pick of today's action
Published: 20/12/2007 (Sport) Rodney Masters
SIMON EARLE returns to the training ranks today when Etendard Indien runs at Ludlow, saying that he is likely to take a more traditional approach to the job in the future, writes Rodney Masters.
The former jump jockey, when in his previous job at Eamonn Wilmott's Horses First Racing Stables near Warminster in Wiltshire, used holistic methods and also occasionally ran horses without shoes.
While he remains open-minded about methods, he will tailor his training to the needs of individual horses.
In the summer, Earle, 43, quit his job as a salaried trainer with Wilmott. He is now based two miles away at Tytherington in stables owned by Gordon and Jeremy Giddings, with whom he has six horses.
"I always intended to return to training, it was just a question of finding the right place, and this yard is ideal with some excellent gallops," he said.
"I certainly haven't turned my back on alternative methods of training, and may run a couple of horses without shoes if I believe that will suit them, but I will also take the traditional approach."
Earle's team includes the ex-David Elsworth-trained Zaif, a winner at Newmarket and Beverley, and Snark, who won three races for Peter Makin and was bought recently for 18,000gns. Earle has booked Polly Gundry, the former point-to-point champion jockey, for Etendard Indien in the Tanners Cava Lady Riders' Handicap Hurdle.
"He'll probably need the run, but he'll be a guide as to where I am with the horses in terms of fitness," said the trainer. "He had a problem with stomach ulcers some time ago, but he's fine now."

He has a couple of runners at Fakenham today.

I bumped into Simon and Caroline last time I went to Chelteham iirc but that was a while ago - he was then just getting into the new place and had things to sort out. I've had no contact with the Club since Simon left and although he was very cagey indeed about his reasons for leaving I got the strong impression that things were not being done acc to his priorities since Findlay had bought into the yard. It wouldn't surprise me if the Club folded as a result of him leaving since I think most members - those I have met anyway - had a loyalty principally to Simon and his methods. Findlay is on record as having bought a v large share in the old place as 'an investment' and I wouldn't be surprised to see it sold off or rented out at some point.

Thanks HS, that was kind of our take on the situ too. Could not really understand how they made any money there as results very low since Simon left. , but investment from outside would take care of that initially anyway, and as you say possible rent or sell off. Sad outcome, but wish him every success in new yard. Think he has a touch of genius about him and deserves a new start.

Thanks DO, this is the link to what looks like what is left of what once was Simon Earle Training, and the Horses First Club. Looks like it is renamed Horses First Racing. A lady who used to be manager of the Horses First Club Gaynor Renwick has disappeared. The horses who used to be named as belonging to the club now have no owner next to them so can only assume club discontinued.

All the best to Simon Earle - I was considering joining the club shortly before he left, and will keep an eye on his progress. Great to see someone keeping an open mind about different ways of training like he does.

Originally posted by Arkwright@Jan 14 2008, 01:53 PM
The former jump jockey, when in his previous job at Eamonn Wilmott's Horses First Racing Stables near Warminster in Wiltshire, used holistic methods and also occasionally ran horses without shoes.
While he remains open-minded about methods, he will tailor his training to the needs of individual horses.
"I certainly haven't turned my back on alternative methods of training, and may run a couple of horses without shoes if I believe that will suit them, but I will also take the traditional approach."

As Zozzy says an open mind is good to see, which is why I like his comment that traditional methods may be used when it suits.

Precisely - try to be too "open-minded", not least from a bloody-minded point of view (which people who employ such "natural" methods can be, they refuse to do anything traditionally) and you'll cut your nose off to spite your face. Unfortunately I suspect that such an attitude possibly didn't help Earle's cause, personally I think Wilmott is bit of a loony and possibly would make a point of doing everything non-conventionally. Mind you I also believe Earle is probably well shot of the gaff.

Back