The Nightingale

Flame

At the Start
That looked suspect, jumped the last cleanly and seemed to slip on the road and fall, had race at its mercy.

Looked a horrible fall, that patch of ground needs looking at surely.

Last edited:
Exeter, Galileo.

The horse jumped the last perfectly well, than lost his front legs under him on the ash/dirt about 10yds after the last hurdle. The Nightingale apparently got up shortly afterwords, but I haven't see any news on his wellbeing.

The favourite was staying on dourly, but The Nightingale would surely have won, given the short run-in at Exeter (I'm talking out of a very deep and empty pocket right now).

Nicholls reported the horse to be fine on immediate inspection.

I initially thought he was preparing to jump that crossing but after several viewings I'm not at all sure what happened.

Well, whatever happened, it's a bastard diabolical fecking liberty.

PS. Delighted to hear the horse is ok.

It cost me dear as well, but thats racing I suppose.

At least Ruby proved why he is the best riding on The Tother One, couldn't jump early, gave it time, looked first beat turning in, kept hold of his head, asked for him at the fences, stayed on strongly and won. Anyone who underates Ruby wants to watch that ride, he proved there why he is as good if not better than McCoy.

Very few would argue that Ruby is without peer, but he seems to ride with more determination and flair on this side of the Irish Sea than he does at times when riding at the gaffs in his home country. McCoy simply isn't the man he was five or six years ago in my opinion, although that still makes him a damn fine rider anyway.

On a side note, I was surprised that no enquiry was called as Ruby leant all over the runner up on the run to the last.

Very few would argue that Ruby is without peer, but he seems to ride with more determination and flair on this side of the Irish Sea than he does at times when riding at the gaffs in his home country. McCoy simply isn't the man he was five or six years ago in my opinion, although that still makes him a damn fine rider anyway.

I totally agree with the points about Ruby - I think Nicholls has stated he and Ruby do not always agree on the tactics - Ruby's natural style is to drop horses out and Nicholls likes them ridden handy if there are no concerns in terms of pulling.

I think on the the Irish "gaffs" Ruby can sometimes find himself too far out of his ground, and at a track where the last flight or fence are close to the winning post he sometimes gets unstuck but a sketchy jump when making a withering late run. That said, I think horses he rides at these tracks are often wildly overbet because he is on board rather than because of their true chances - and so giving a moderate horse a lot of ground to make up may not always prove the ideal situation.

Today's ride on The Tother One was perfect - he needed to ride the hard pulling gelding with restraint and nursed the less than fluent jumper to victory. Contrast this with the ultra positive ride aboard I'msingingtheblues on Sunday and ruby has shown in the last few days how versatile he can be.

I watched the Straw Bear race with interest. A P rode him exactly how you might have predicted the instructions would have been from Nick Gifford following the press releases yeaterday about getting a clear round. I am in the dark, but if I had to guess McCoy rode the horse as if he may not have impressed in his schooling as he was very quiet on him and never put a gun to his head. Vintage A P (or A P of a few weeks back at Sedgefield) would have won on Straw Bear, but it was only after the last that he started to ride his mount with a modicum of urgency. It was a very un-McCoyesqu ride and left me wondering has the horse had problems in the jumping department in his schooling? Maybe somebody can shed some light on this?

If I am right Straw Bear could be one to take on at short odds next time (provided it is not a total egg and spoon race at Folkestone or Plumpton which he will simply win on class without coming off the bridle) as I wonder how is jumping would stand up if a gun is put to his head in a race?

I wasn't impressed by his jumping, neither Pasco's for that matter, both are meant to be exciting types, but I beg to differ at present.

McCoy was taken into the stewards room to explain his ride it transpires, but they were satisfied with his explanation.

I've got a horrible feeling where this thread might be heading though

Last edited:
I wasn't impressed by his jumping, neither Pasco's for that matter, both are meant to be exciting types, but I beg to differ at present.

Have re-watched the race, and I think Pasco was more than ok. A slightly mixed round but when he was good he was very good. He'll win races as long as he can dominate.

I thought Pasco looked very awkward when he came off the bridle. Not sure he's one I would have a bundle of faith in myself.

The horse jumped the last perfectly well, than lost his front legs under him on the ash/dirt about 10yds after the last hurdle.

Exactly what happened, Grassy.

My first thoughts were that the horse had slipped whereas on watching the re-run it was patently obvious that he didn't - he did in fact look to have landed, in that canter stride, on his pasterns rather than get his feet out, trip up and flip over. It has been reported elsewhere by someone who was at the track that apparently the horse struck into himself which would absolutely make sense going by what could be seen. Talk of the horse slipping, either on landing [no chance - it was a stride or two after the flight] or on the road crossing [he landed on the crossing after having flipped, he tripped well before it] are wide of the mark. Interestingly enough it's the avenue the RP still seemed to be pursuing this morning also!

Back