The Preakness Stakes (Saturday May 21)

Powerscourt

At the Start
Kentucky Derby winner, Animal Kingdom, is 2/1 fav but I like Dialed In to win this at around 4/1. There should be more pace in this race compared to the Kentucky Derby to suit his late kick.

If Dialed In wins this he will earn a $5.5 million bonus for winning the Holy Bull, Florida Derby, and Preakness.

$1 Million Preakness Stakes (gr. I), 3-Year-Olds, 1 3/16 Miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, Trainer, ML Odds
1. Astrology, Mike Smith, Steve Asmussen, 15/1
2. Norman Asbjornson, Julian Pimentel, Chris Grove, 30/1
3. King Congie, Robby Albarado, Tom Albertrani, 20/1
4. Flashpoint, Cornelio Velasquez, Wesley Ward, 20/1
5. Shackleford, Jesus Castanon, Dale Romans, 12/1
6. Sway Away, Garrett Gomez, Jeff Bonde, 15/1
7. Midnight Interlude, Martin Garcia, Bob Baffert, 15/1
8. Dance City, Ramon Dominguez, Todd Pletcher, 12/1
9. Mucho Macho Man, Rajiv Maragh, Kathy Ritvo, 6/1
10. Dialed In, Julien Leparoux, Nick Zito, 9/2
11. Animal Kingdom, John Velazquez, Graham Motion, 2/1
12. Isn't He Perfect, Edgar Prado, Doodnauth Shivmangal, 30/1
13. Concealed Identity, Sheldon Russell, Dean Gaudet, 30/1
14. Mr. Commons, Victor Espinoza, John Shirreffs, 20/1

Shackleford made virtually all and just denied a fast finishing Animal Kingdom. Astrology 3rd and Dialed In 4th.

Animal Kingdom looked like he was given too much to do, especially considering they seemed to slow the gallop down the back.

Velazquez suggesting that his yoke didn't like having dirt kicked in his face and dropped himself out.

No Triple Crown winner once again and no real stars among the three year olds in the USA this year.

Lots of three year olds injured and may be back later in the year but I don't see any real stars among them.

Belmont Stakes looks like a battle between Master of Hounds and Nehro as the other three year olds will probably give it a miss.

Maybe I am confused over my American 3yo horses, but I thought Shackleford would be ideal for the Belmont. Is he not a stayer? When I saw him at 12s on Saturday morning I thought to myself that I would take that price over 1m4f, not over Preakness C&D.

Back