The Road to the Supporting Races on Tuesday

Bar the Bull

At the Start
Spinal Research Handicap Chase

Bensalem (5) , Great Endeavour (6) , Sunnyhillboy (13/2) , Reve De Sivola (10) , Blazing Bailey (12) , Caroles Legacy (16) , Chief Dan George (20) , Rare Bob (20) , Wolf Moon (20) , Adams Island (25) , Exmoor Ranger (25) , Fair Along (25) , King Fontaine (33) , Razor Royale (33) , The Rainbow Hunter (33) , The Sawyer (33) , Carrickmines (50) , No Panic (66) , Slippers Percy (66)

Cross Country Chase

Favourites: Garde Champetre (9/2) , LAmi (7) , Maljimar (7) , Sizing Australia (8) , A New Story (11) , Poker de Sivola (14) , Another Jewel (16) , Gullible Gordon (16) , One Cool Cookie (18) , King Johns Castle (20) , Quezac de La Roque (20) , Freneys Well (25) , Lord Nellerie (25) , Dream Alliance (33) , Oscar Bay (40) , Quolibet (40)

David Nicholson Mares Hurdle

Favourites: Quevega (22/23) , Sparky May (7/2) , Laccordioniste (10) , Banjaxed Girl (16) , La Vecchia Scuola (25) , Alasi (33) , Alegralil (33) , Santera (40) , Silver Gypsy (40) , Stephanie Kate (50) , Ocean Transit (51) , Lonesome Dove (100) , Miss Overdrive (150) , Princess Rainbow (150)

Centenary Novices Chase

Favourites: Definity (8) , Divers (9) , Quantitativeeasing (9) , Tullamore Dew (9) , On Borrowed Wings (12) , American Trilogy (16) , Premier Sagas (16) , Tharawaat (16) , Lastoftheleaders (20) , Nadiya de La Vega (20) , Rougham (20) , Swing Bill (20) , Osric (25) , Shakalakaboomboom (25) , Sway (25) , Vino Griego (25) , Glenstal Abbey (33) , Songe (33) , Swincombe Rock (33) , Quo Video (40)

My early thoughts are as follows:

The Rainbow Hunter may run okay at a price in the Spinal Research race, but my preference is for Sunnyhillboy.

A New Story shouldn't be double figures in the X-Country.

La Vecchia Scuola is a very nice price in the David Nicholson, as there are very few good mares in the race.

The Centenary is a really tough race. Lastoftheleaders and American Trilogy are the ones to interest me. Tenner each way on each is the maximum I could go for, though.

Sunnyhillboy for me in the 3m hcap chase . He has been laid out for the race and is crying out for this trip.

Carole's Legacy looks very big.

I think the first 3 are opposable.

Gearoid has convinced me about L'Ami. 8.8 is bigger than what I thought.

Last edited:
Swincombe Rock in the centenary. 3 facile nov, ch wins then a poor run at Newbury. I noticed after I had originally backed the horse that trainer NTD said " he had some some skeletal problem. we are much happpier with him now. He is in top form. I hate to say this but he could be well handicapped"

Goes on the ground

At 16s Banjaxed Girl ew is worth a few quid in the DN. Perhaps the same can be said of Poker di Sivola at 14s in the CC race.

What's the skinny with Reve de Sivola? Will his jumping hold up.

He's got round on all three occasions he's raced at the track this year and the step up in trip is bound to suit. I expect him to be staying on at the end of the race and he's off a tidy mark. It's a tough race obviously but he's worth one at double figures.

Last edited:
He's got round on all three occasions he's raced at the track this year and the step up in trip is bound to suit. I expect him to be staying on at the end of the race and he's off a tidy mark. It's a tough race obviously but he's worth one at double figures.

Euro - do you think that like over hurdles a better gallop will improve his jumping ?

I hope so. He was badly outpaced at Sandown where they went a decent clip but he probably didn't like the course. He'll probably struggle to lay up tomorrow but yes, a strong pace on a course he loves may just be the making of him over fences. He could be in the Gold Cup next year.

Carole's Legacy a crazy price when you consider all those horses in front of her are about as unreliable as you can get. As tough a mare as you will ever see, and very unlucky not to win the handicap at Cheltenham in january, mugged late on (by Tartak no less). 5 Places with Paddy Power.

I have the finale cracked. Tullamore Dew for me. Festival form, arguably the best form over fences and he has very little weight to give away in a compressed handicap.

I always find that my best Cheltenham bets are from backing horses like him.

I fancied Maljimar for this last year before he was pulled out with the National in mind so I suppose he has to be bet today. The price has gone since I've been concentrating on the other races but the established cross country animals are all well on the decline from what I've seen this season and most of last.

Maljimar is my main bet of today and I got him at what I think was a decent price, and he's now a bit shorter. Other than him I've backed Medermit and Peddlers today and may back Definity later on if things go well - I expect him to run a big race.

Good luck and have a great day.

Back