The Royal Hunt Cup

Flame

At the Start
I may just be being blond but according to all the papers today Philario is in stall 33, yet there are 31 runners. How the hell does that work.

Bit odd, there are 2 non runners but that hasn't made any difference looking at the card. I think Philario has a decent shout if that high draw doesn't inconvenience him, he ran a very good race lto and has Martin Lane onboard who claims a valuable 5lb. He also has good all-weather form which seems to count for a lot at Ascot.

However, I'd be surprised if Roaring Forte got beat, the horse is a machine and looks a cut above handicapper level in my opinion. He has been very impressive the last twice and his ratings on my figures were brilliant, definitely group class. Liam Jones has a tricky job on his hands from stall 22 though.

At bigger prices, Dunn'o and Quinnmaster interest me, particularly if the former can grab the stands rail and make all.

Bit odd, there are 2 non runners but that hasn't made any difference looking at the card. I think Philario has a decent shout if that high draw doesn't inconvenience him, he ran a very good race lto and has Martin Lane onboard who claims a valuable 5lb. He also has good all-weather form which seems to count for a lot at Ascot.

However, I'd be surprised if Roaring Forte got beat, the horse is a machine and looks a cut above handicapper level in my opinion. He has been very impressive the last twice and his ratings on my figures were brilliant, definitely group class. Liam Jones has a tricky job on his hands from stall 22 though.

At bigger prices, Dunn'o and Quinnmaster interest me, particularly if the former can grab the stands rail and make all.

Agree with Roaring Forte, he'll win from stall 20, I'm told because of no pace he will go far side and run them ragged rather than risk being taken on coming stands side. He's been working better than Kings Apostle over trips which would suit King's Apostle and has worked better than Aqlaam recently. Home form of a group horse for me and I think he should be a cut above these as well.

Not sure I like the idea of him going far side, he could be left quite isolated but good to hear positive vibes.

I've got a fair bit on antepost at 12s.

Ante Post bets killed because of stalls, makes you feel sick.

Winners won well but shame didn't get to see Roaring Forte and it makes you feel sick you lose your money if you back ante post. I wonder if any bookies will agree to refund stakes although they don't have to ? Stan James if your reading :)

Got I hate Huzzah :(

17.Jun 2009 16:10 4696/2034 1.00 W CTC Royal Ascot 16:20 : Outright Betting - Guaranteed Odds Alfathaa DIV Open Open 120.00
Royal Ascot 16:20 : Outright Betting - Guaranteed Odds Mia's Boy DIV Open
Royal Ascot 16:20 : Outright Betting - Guaranteed Odds Forgotten Voice DIV Open
Royal Ascot 16:20 : Outright Betting - Guaranteed Odds Docofthebay WD NR
Royal Ascot 16:20 : Outright Betting - Guaranteed Odds Roaring Forte WD NR
Royal Ascot 16:20 : Outright Betting - Guaranteed Odds Nanton DIV Open

Disagree tbh, Alfathaa in 5th got no run and beat 7L max, and he wouldn't get within 10L of Roaring Forte at home, I'm sure there will be some daggers from Haggas to the starter. Roaring Forte does F all wrong, Jones jumps off because horse he rears up slightly and doesn't even do anything wrong, just gets off and settles the horse down. Starters are bloody idiots, if they didn't take so long getting the horses in the stalls it wouldn't be an issue one ones getting upset. They give certain horses 20 chances to go in so the ones in first suffer, then slight movement from them and he withdraws them.

Plenty of firms were NRNB, dodged a bullet if you backed with them on Roaring Forte. Wouldn't have got close on the far side.

He'll be a crap price next time out though.

RP:

A BITTER row erupted in the weighing room after the Hunt Cup, in which heavily backed second-favourite Roaring Forte, last year's second Docofthebay and live outsider Bencoolen were all withdrawn at the start for "unruly behaviour", leading to a 20p in the pound Rule 4 deduction.

David Nicholls and William Haggas, the trainers of Bencoolen and Roaring Forte respectively, were furious, and Nicholls was seen having a very heated exchange with starter Peter Haynes.

When he had cooled down, Nicholls said: "These people should get up at five in the morning and see the work we put into it. We've worked all winter to get him here, and I can't believe the way the starter can just say 'Take the horse away' like that and not give you a proper chance. Every horse deserves a chance, and what about the punters?"

I backed Roaring Forte and thought it ridiculous. No time nor second effort was given - not good enough, and the starter's performance should be reviewed. On a funny note, I watched the race with my younger brother who rarely bets but backed two for this - Roaring Forte and Docofthebay! :p

As soon as i saw the winner in the paddock i thought he would win it. Hope i'm not the only one really excited by this wee colt :)

I guess the winner will be put up to 109 or 110 by the official handicapper after that. Puts him in a bit of a twilight zone of Listed/Group 3 races. Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Was Forgotten Voice's win an argument against value punting?

I had been very impressed with his runs at Kempton this year but his first run on grass in a very competitive handicap and at what looked like a very skinny 7/2, he didn't seem to be a value bet.

As I have mentioned before value is much easier to calculate after the race.

Good question, Colin. I didn't back it but thought seriously about it. I may well have done so had I more time to weigh it up. If Doc wasn't in the race and I was still getting 4/1 I might have been tempted. Not knowing for sure in advance the effect of the draw was a factor in betting small on outsiders. I've gone in a bit stronger in the Britannia but am aware the other side can emerge on top.

It was absurd, he should definitely have been reloaded but I actually think the starter did punters a favour because it would have been game over if he'd gone far side.

Ken Pittersen said that he looked an absolute picture in the paddock and was well clear of his rivals on looks. He'll be a skinny price wherever he goes next but he's a very talented horse and he's certainly still got a big prize in him this year.

Back