The Season That Was

granger

Senior Jockey
Punting High - Sizing Europe - Arkle

Personal High - AP wins National

Low - Hurricane Fly missing majority of season, Dunguib not quite living up to expectations

Horse for next season - Mikael D'Haugenet

Punting High - Diamond Harry - Fixed Brush Hurdle at Haydock.

Personal High - Denman's second Hennessy.

Low - Kauto's fall in the Gold Cup.

Horse for next season - Me Voici

Punting -an outstanding 6 months -won enough to make a difference to my life. A
Asking myself if I have improved as a punter or if I am on an extended lucky run.

Horses that cost me the most Money -Zaarito and Psycho -twice.Kennel Hill was painful.

Cashed in most of my chips yesterday and with baby number 2 due in a couple of weeks I will be taking it down a gear or two .

Last edited:
Punting High - Binocular - Champion Hurdle

Personal High - Well Chief winning the Connaught Chase.

Low - Kauto Star falling in the Gold Cup.

Horse For Next Season - Cue Card

Punting High - The Whole of Punchestown week

Personal High - Long Run's Kempton victory

Low - The Gold Cup "match" result/Hurricane Fly missing most of the season/Long Run's defeat

Horse For Next Season - Surfing

Punting High - Cue Card
Personal High - Paddy Brennan, no one better imo
Low - Gold Cup day way too many people let in made it horrible
Horse for next season - Binocular again

Punting high - everything before the Cheltenham Trials meeting
Punting low - everything (and I mean everything) thereafter
Personal high - Only The Best winning at Hexham & Kauto's King George
Personal low - Kauto failing in the Gold Cup
Horse for next season - Christ knows

Punting High - Khyber Kim ante-post in the Greatwood
Punting Low - Miko de Beauchene, having backed him at the November meeting, I ummed and aahed about backing him at a big price in the Welsh National but decided to leave it, however fearing he might win early in the straight I ended up backing him in-running at a ridiculously short price only for him to beaten about 6 strides after, I then did something very similar with him at Haydock about 15 seconds before he fell.

Personal High - Would have to be Joe Jo Star winning the Swinton, but without that, I couldn't split Kauto Star's King George and Denman's Hennessy. If you are out of your chair screaming at the tele and haven't had a bet, something clearly has you captivated.

Horse For Next Season - I think The Midnight Club will develop into a really good staying handicap chaser.

Punting High - Cheltenham festival - (amazingly for me!!! :D) and backing Norbit in his first run

Punting Low - having my usual effect on pretty much every other horse I backed....

Personal High - Watching Long Run at Kempton, and Novabridge's first run,where my excitement was totally justified.

Personal Low - that race at Newton Abbot on Friday.Havent been as upset watching a race for a long time. also the ridiculous hype about the GC being a "match" - ferking insulting to every other runner in the race,and I was THRILLED that IC won it.(though sad to see Kauto fall,and inscenced that Ruby rode him back)

Horse for next season - Ashkazar (no great suprise there, its common knowledge that hes my 3rd favourite down at Pond House after Comply and Buena Vista!!)

Punting High: Bob's Display in a handicap hurdle at Leopardstown Christmas meeting.

Punting Low: Everything from February onwards really!

Personal High: Kauto Star winning the King George.

Horse for next season: Caduceus over fences and Saddler's Storm.

Punting high - Sizing and Menorah in the first two races at Cheltenham
Punting low - Big bet going awry on Imperial Commander at Kempton
Personal high - Kauto's King George
Horse for next season - Get me out of Here.

Last edited:
Punting High J'y Vole ew at Cheltenham
Punting Low Quel Esprit At Cheltenham

Personal Highs Kauto Star in the King George, and AP winning the Grand National
Personal Lows The deaths of Citizen Vic, An Cathaoir Mor and Schindler's Hunt.

Punting high - everything before the Cheltenham Trials meeting
Punting low - everything (and I mean everything) thereafter
Personal high - Only The Best winning at Hexham & Kauto's King George
Horse for next season - Christ knows

Who`s that Christ Knows with Grassy?

Punting High - Cue Card Festival Bumper

Personal High - Return to form of Albertas Run

Low - All the casualties

Horse for next season - Monsignor

Punting High - Get Me Out Of Here anti-post in the Tote Trophy

Personal High - Having a quid e/w on Dream Alliance in ther Welsh National and more importantly seeing him do himself justice, absoloutely pinged the last which was about as memorable as it gets for me.

Low - The withdrawel of Miss Mitch the day before the RP chase who I backed at 25's earlier in the week, I'm convinced she would have won.

Horse for next season - Planet Of Sound

Punting High - Peddlers Cross
Personal High - Kauto Star's win
Low - The majority of my bets
Horse for next season - Conquisto

Punting High - Keyneema for Cathy Hamilton at Hereford last autumn. Always seem to do well there for reasons I've never fathomed, but that was a biggie even for me.

Personal High - as usual, anything that justifies keeping willing and capable old-timers in the sport. Carryonharry's pointing wins at 16 years of age have been a delight, likewise Monkerhostin's landing of the erstwhile Agfa Diamond Chase. Where humans are concerned, I continue to marvel at what Godfrey Maundrell can achieve.

Low - the one that got away. Was aching to take all of the £10 on offer at 1000s for Robbers Glen when over a distance behind in that Kelso hunter chase back in February, but was working from home on a works laptop nestled on a US network - I could therefore see the Betfair markets but not place a bet without the "not in your country" block message appearing. You know the rest - Benbeoch fell, Natiain woofed it, and Robbers Glen pottered home. Watching several grand just dance past with you powerless to stop it is not nice.

Horse for next season - a year stronger (he can't actually get much bigger!), Gentle George *will* win the Cheltenham Foxhunter.

gc

It has been a fine season but no better than that.

Best chasing nce
Difficult to choose between Denman Hennessy and Kauto in the King George

Best hurdler
Big Bucks

Best jockey
Paul Townnend

Best trainer
Willie Mullins, another amazing season.

Lows
Carberry with his bussiness
Denman on downgrade
the 2 miles division both hurdles and chase
Hurrican Fly almost losing the season

Highs
McCoy winning the National

Punting high
Take a Shot and Hey Big Spender

Punting low
Watch My Back at Cheltenham and Kenel Hil that day at Kmp.

Season highlight- AP winning the National

Seasons low- Dunguib getting chinned:mad:

Punting high- Quevega twice:D

Punting low- see above:mad: Also Twist flippin Magic at Punchestown.

Horse for next season- Hurricane Fly

Special mention- Willie Mullins- top top trainer:cool:

Back