The significance of jockey bookings

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

This deserves a thread of it's own. How much do you let a jockey booking effect your opinion on a race? On the subject of strange jockeys bookings I have seen the oddest one of all time tomorrow.

Tipperary 7.35 - Look At Me - W J Supple - A P O´Brien

My reading of that would be that O'Brien thinks the horse needs plenty of forceful encouragement from the saddle.

I'd have thought that for you serious punters that the jockey booking would be as important as the form, when known, and any other significant pointers like going, change of yard or distance.

Vast differences in styles and as Mel says, some are there to 'encourage', while others are much better at calming the fizzbombs.

Massively overplayed angle in my opinion, I don't use it as a heavy attribute when pricing a race up.

Fallon, Moore and Dettori normally take at least a point off horses they ride, especially when riding for stables they don't normally ride for.

Good trainers with good horses think jockey bookings matter, and that'll do for me.
It's no coincidence that Kieren Fallon has had just 6 rides for Mick Easterby this season, 4 of them on Hoof It, (Nor that he rode Barren Brook for him today, despite Luca having one in the same race).

There are some jockeys who ride certain tracks more effectively than others, too, which would surely be significant when booked (either as a positive or a negative). Some are really not comfortable - just like some horses - with sharp turning courses, while others don't seem to find a handle on tactics in straightforward long gallops. You just have to look up their strike rates at the courses to take advantage.

Back