The Whitbread/365

yorick

Conditional
I’ve always loved the Whitbread; it’s been a lucky race for me over the years and one that I enjoy having a tilt at.

I suppose the thing I’d be looking for is a horse that’s improving. That was certainly true of Step Back and Talkischeap, two recent winners. The race is not the sort for horses that have been around the block, so to speak.

The most startling improvement has been shown, of course, by Win My Wings. Who would’ve believed that the horse being scrubbed along at the back at Exeter would go on not only to win that race but also the Eider and Scottish National? He has been allotted ever more weight for these successes. of course. It’s that and whether he can stay in peak form for one more go that’s a concern. He’s top weight.

Another definite improver is Skelton’s Flegmatik. He’s on the rise, alright, but I would have a doubt about the extra distance here. The breeding doesn't look to be screaming stayer.

Things have clicked recently for Musical Slave with two wins on the bounce. If you really wanted to be a strict ‘on the book’ form merchant you might well raise an eyebrow at his run in January at Exeter, when was beaten just 2L by Win My Wings in receipt of a pound. On Saturday he gets 24Lbs from that horse. That’s a big turnaround, so why wouldn’t that push Musical Slave into the betting limelight? Well, the going, I suppose:
-----------------------------------------------------
1May19 Punchestown (21Y, RPR 129)
Musical Slave, I presume, is finished for the season and he'll have a good summer off. He wouldn't be wanting fast ground anyway, that wouldn't be his job. He was entered at Sandown on Friday but we wouldn't have been running on fast ground and that's why he came here. He can go chasing at any stage, he jumps very well, and that will be his long term job but when that will be I'm not sure - Phillip Hobbs, trainer

It will be interesting to see if they keep him in the race despite the Good going. If they decided to roll the dice, I’d give him an ew go, I think.

Last year’s race was something, wasn’t it? I backed Enrilo and it was shame he lost it in the stewards’ room. What a finish it was with Enrilo, Potterman and Kitty’s Light battling away at the end. The question is, who of the three has the best chance this year? Having written that- and it’s a personal thing- whenever horses finish in a heap like that, I am always inclined to look elsewhere for the winner. It’s for that reason, and that reason alone, that I might choose to overlook these three horses.

However, I suppose we must remember that Kitty’s Light (KL) is only a six year old and there may be more to come. He’s got first-time pieces on for this so that would provide encouragement, too, for he does get behind in his races and is, invariably, coming there late – too late. If the pieces enable him to stay more focused and more on the pace, he could be close enough to take advantage of the Sandown hill. A live danger.

Talking of getting behind in races: Domaine De L’Isle. He can take a keen hold but, again, is one of those who gets going late and that can be frustrating, for sure. I did fancy this fellow a little bit for the National and he was running a decent race before coming to grief. I reckon the Sandown hill could be right up his street, you know, and the current odds of 16/1 looks tempting.

I can’t mention the Sandown hill without highlighting Prime Venture who won the veterans for me, Desert Orchid and Outsider in January. He simply scooted away from his opponents like they were standing still. Fantastic (the 20/1 helped, in that regard). That race was his big target for the season, I think and I wouldn’t be expecting the 11yo to be up to this.

Fifth in last year’s running, was Cap Du Nord. He’s come back to form of late but I do wonder whether a Voix Du Nord progeny will be up to the 3.5m on offer here.

While on the subject of breeding, I’ll be doubting Streets Of Doyen, Via Dolorosa and El Paso Wood’s staying credentials.

A horse who I think will stay is Hewick who will relish the ground and could well be given the ‘improver’ tag. Looking at his form, though, he is inclined to lose concentration and to be sloppy at his fences. Is Sandown the right course for him? I wonder but that is too much of a concern for me.

Fidux ran a corker in the Scottish, I thought, and that might give him a squeak here but he’s been round the houses, this one and I’ll not be looking for a veteran of 52 races to win this.

My old pal Step Back is looking to repeat his 2018 victory but he’s not the horse of old. He might guarantee a decent pace, however, given his front-running style.

I hope the race is as exciting as it looks on paper.
Hold up horses have done well in this race.i remember Just a Par winning it and I had it at a big price.
I know what you mean about HEWICKS jumping but hes only had 6 chases and i still think or more hope that's there is more to come.33/1 and at least it's running.
The way he won over 3m 5f at sedgefield was never in doubt but this of course this is very much harder.
Cap du nord is actually well hcapped on last years race but he did seem to weaken up the hill.god jockey booking imo with Sam TD.
I will be a bit peeved if Streets of Doyen wins.14s top price now .i fancied it for the irish national and got 80/1.
Domaine d'isle.i put this up for the Scottish national as i thought Scott Curran won it with an outsider before and might be trying again
The Grand national isnt the type of race for hold up horses but this race is and he was a good staying on 4th in the Becher.
This isnt a good race for carrying a big weight but you cant rule out win my wings with confidence, can you?
I dont mind if Kittys light wins as i have it in a yankee at 12/1.
If enrilo hadnt made a mistake,was it 2 out or the last,I think he would have won without the stewards being involved and looks the one to beat but....
Theres not much between the first 3 and cap du nord on last years race and the race cap du Nord win over kittys with enrillo 4th.
I still havent a clue what will win I just hope it's as exciting as it looks on paper.

Back