The Year That Was

trackside528

At the Start
No apologies for starting this thread on a day like today!

What were your highlights and lowlights of 2010 then and what are you most looking forward to in 2011?

Highlights - Harbinger in King George and Binocular in the Champion Hurdle. Puntingwise a sustained decent run of Friday nights at Dundalk was probably the highlight of a below average year for me.

Lowlights - A particular bad Cheltenham for fatalaties ~ Citizen Vic and particularly Casey Jones stand out personally. Schindler's Hunt - a particular favourite of mine - as well and Prudent Honour a horse I had my eye on as a seriously interesting staying handicap chaser both lost at the National meeting as well.

2011 - Looking forward to the Champion Hurdle, some cracking novice chase prospects, Caduceus making hay in staying handicap chases and seeing how Frankel fares come the Spring.

You're referring to racing, not our personal lives, I take it?

Highlights: plenty. Knowing some people who had winners and seeing their joy. Seeing SPIDER BOY close up. Watching THE TATLING blasting away at almost 14 y.o. and still placing. Hearing of happy retirement stories. ZENYATTA.

Lowlights: the daily death toll which included some personal favourites. It's obvious that with all racing televised we're likely to see almost all of the 300+ that occur on course, and that takes its toll on enthusiasm over the years. I try to watch only the very best chasers now, in the (sometimes vain) hope they're less likely to die.

Continuing losses of fixtures, without the interference of the BHA.

Continuing loss of prize money, with the interference of the BHA.

Continuing reduction in overall sales of youngsters and lowered returns.

Continuing over-production.

Last edited:
Highlights - Sizing Eupope's arkle was a personal delight

Lowlights - Kauto falling in the Gold Cup, continued shortage of a top class staying chaser this side of the water, Weapon's Amnesty missing the entire campaign, WOA not getting a spin around in the National, Dunguib not being the best thing since sliced bread... yet

2011 .. Technically not 2011 but Kauto to get his 5th KG. All the chief protagonists to turn up for the champ hurdle, Big Zeb and Masterminded to both show up in tip top form for the QM, anovice chaser to turn up over xmas that makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, poor ForPaddy to get a win somewhere

That will do for now

Highlights - Goldikova's BC win. Although it wasn't the result I'd have liked, Zenyatta's final race in the BC Classic just for the sheer enthusiasm of the crowd there.
Albertas Run winning the Ryanair, Monet's Garden wining the Old Roan again.

Lowlights - again, the fatalities. It's always going to happen but it's still horrible.

2011 - all the good older horses staying in training on the flat especially Goldikova and Midday.

Back