Third Time Lucky

Marb

Journeyman
Spring Lodge Handicap Stakes. Newmarket. Saturday 1:50. Third Time Lucky 16/1 generally. Do not underestimate what a competitive and appealing handicap this is! Third Time Lucky is a Cambridgeshire winner here already at Newmarket. After that win, he was bumped up to a mark of 106, then understandably went off the boil as horses often do when they reach the ceiling of their potential. Over a year later I don't think trainer Richard Fahey can argue or be disappointed with the Official handicapper dropping this Course and Distance winner to a mark of 93, where he'll carry just 8 stone 8 pounds, because the highly 110-rated Spark Plug hold the weights down, a bit like when a highly rated chaser goes in a handicap. This won't be an easy task by any means for Third Time Lucky, but he looks the best horse on form and ratings to me, and after a good sixth place at Newbury last time I do fancy him to run very well. I think he has one big more handicap to potentially win before he gets absolutely hammered up the handicap.

Back