Thursday 26th October 2023

yorick

Conditional
It's a long old game, backing horses, isn't it?

What I particularly like about NH racing is the continuity of horses that can stretch over years; you get to know and follow a horse. It's never a precise science, though, and you invariably, I find, have to 'get to know' a horse. Mind you, there's is, of course, a lot of guesswork involved and rarely is it that we can go in on a horse fully confident.

Hello Judge is a gelding that I 've had an interest in since he started his chasing career last season. Really, one might might ask why I haven't abandoned him, given his chasing career so far: four outings which included 7th of 7, 7th of 8, a PU and only a second to show this far. Well, the ownership is one thing since the trainer/owner combo has been responsible for a good few chasers who have all won; they know a chaser when they see one. Secondly, the breeding tells us that chasing was always going to be the route. Lastly, his excellent jumping really has been a strong feature of my interest.

Last season, as we've seen, was not good at all and I did wonder what on earth was going on. I thought that maybe they'd raced him on the wrong ground. However, I see that, before his first outing this term, he had a wind op. As usual, his jumping was first class and although he seemed to run out of puff, I noticed that he got a 'second wind' and was rallying at the line which made me think that the 2m was probably a bit short (which is underpinned by the breeding). Today's 2m 4f will be much more the job.

Perched on bottom weight, this could turn out to be a well - handicapped fellow.

I see that after being quoted at 12/1 in places last night, those odds have been halved by this morning. As you know, I do dislike it when one of mine is backed early doors and I consider that to be a negative. It wouldn't surprise me, mind, if we were to see a drift before the off.

I feel inclined to back this one today and will hope that my mental meanderings will bear fruit, at last:

Hello Judge - 2.45 Carlisle 13/2 Ew 4 places 1/5th odds PPower

I'm hoping I get a good run for my money.

Beware the seeming daytime gamble on this one. As you know, I hate them since they normally point to my horse losing.

4/1 now. :(

Cheers!

I'm absolutely delighted with that result after following since last November. The breathing was the issue and they'd got him onto a good h/cap mark. Mind you, he had to work for it, didn't he. I think his just excellent jumping will always pay dividends. He was faultless all the way round, wasn't he?

Apart from the first he jumped like a stag all the way round. His fencing was a joy to watch.

Last edited:
Back