Thursday Handicap Chases

Bar the Bull

At the Start
In the Racing Post Plate, I think that Crozan might be worth a few quid. He fades very easily, but that may have something to do with his breathing, and he was going sweet as a nut in the Ryanair last year when he fell.

Oedipe is obviously very interesting, but I just wonder why Mick has gone for Crozan.

The Jewson looks like a race to take the favourite on. I will do it with small bets on two horses. The Queen's horse Barbers Shop has any amount of improvement and is strongly fancied by his stable. The other one I like is Big Buck's at 20 to 1. I think he has rock solid form and will set a very high standard. He is well treated, and has form with Krugroyova.

I haven't got much of a clue in the Kim Muir, but tentatively suggest Bob Bob Bobbin, who has dropped to a very nice mark, and could be laid out. He has one of the better amateurs on board, too.

Ambobo has been aimed at this but, in general, Irish record in these races in recent years has been dire

Am curious about Mick Fitz re: Oedipe too. Perhaps he needs the run. That's a hot enough race.

Have been waiting all season for Don't Push It. He is up to running in the Ryanair Chase...so this is his for the taking imo.

Ma Yahab looks to be nicely plotted for the Kim Muir having gone down at Doncaster by 3L's to An Accordion. He was entered for the William Hill but has been re-routed.

Bible Lord looks to have a perfect profile for the Plate, and I can see Kelrev running a place. Can't decide what to make of Gwanko and Mighty Mattters. The latter has a convulted formline taking in some decent hurdlers that suggests he could be below the radar, but it's a blind leap of faith.

Buena Vista looks interesting, has all the hallmarks of a plot. One run all season to get qualified. He's got that all important festival form with a 3rd to Noland in the Supreme, and a 6th to MWDS in the Arkle. MCP frequently went scatter gun at this race and I seem tot hink it was only in 2002 that he didn't manage to get something placed during the last 10 years. Is there a clue that David is approaching it differently? Last year he didn't have a runner, and Buena Vista becomes his first. By contrast Pipe senior had 53 by my count on the 10 year stats, of which only Unsinkable Boxer won, whilst 9 others placed

My feeling to is that if Oedipe were fully wound up, Mick would have picked him. Fto after an injury is asking a lot - perhaps they owners insisted he come to Cheltenham. Crozan on the other hand has had more treatment for his breathing problem and I understand is in terrific form and quietly fancied. There again it might just be the weights - would Mick have to sweat a bit to do 10.13?

The front two in the BF market look good to me, but I prob won't have a bet on this unless I've won quite a bit by then!

But for one poor run Joe lively would be easily favourite today . At the ods Wortha bet though Oscar Park could be above this class.

In the Pertemps Gunner Jack will carry my money. Only one poor perfomance and this is a handicap :suspect:

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Mar 12 2008, 08:06 PM
The Jewson looks like a race to take the favourite on. I will do it with small bets on two horses. The Queen's horse Barbers Shop has any amount of improvement and is strongly fancied by his stable. The other one I like is Big Buck's at 20 to 1. I think he has rock solid form and will set a very high standard. He is well treated, and has form with Krugroyova.
This sums up my week.

I have had five seconds. I had Dreux at 100/1 each way.

Add me to that list Barry!

Silverburn and Fingeronthepulse are two that have jumped out at me already for next seasons Paddy Power Chase!

From Tom Taaffe...

"He ran a good race at Punchestown behind Glencove Marina and I asked Willie Mullins quietly how he good he thought the winner was," said Taaffe.

"When he told me he thought he could be the best he'd ever had, we made the decision to come straight here.

Back