Tolworth Hurdle

Guest_

At the Start
Firstly is there any doubts about the meeting going ahead tomorrow?

If not whats everyones fancies? Looks a pretty good renewal.

Can't see any doubts surrounding tomorrow's meeting - any conceivable threat would be from waterlogging and unless we have torrential downpours overnight that ain't gonna happen!

As for the Tolworth, Calgary Bay for me. Look out for this fella when he goes chasing, then he will be something really decent.

Damn right he is!!! Got told to behave when I saw him in the yard and said "that's a proper horse". "He's only walking across the yard, woman!!" I was told!!!!! That must've been around a year ago now.

Its tipping down at the moment (im about 5 miles away) and it worries me slightly that Hen says that real extremes of going might not suit Calgary bay

I would imagine Alsaada would be an unlikely runner in desperate ground.
Connections may need another jockey anyway after Colin Bolger had a bad fall at Lingers today.

Must say Breedsbreeze rates as a big lay for me;

The form which saw him 5L 2nd to Ring The Boss hasn't exactly worked out and Ring The Boss was well beat next time by Jack The Giant. The later named was only a length in front of Alsaada at Ascot and on those direct form lines I would prefer Alsaada.

Dom told me about Calgary Bay at Bath in September and I remember doing my money on him twice, once through a super Sammy T ride and then followed by a Graham (I wanna be like Spencer) Lee ride. Both times the horse should have won. I renewed faith at Cheltenham and actually dutched him and Snap Tie as I was keen on the later. Now in spite of what many say about Snap Tie, reluctant to win or not he sets a high level of form and Calgary Bay seemed to beat him with a fair amount in hand.

I personally feel Calgary Bay will be better as he steps up in trip but am I right Dom in thinking Henrietta has worded this as the next Best Mate to those close to the yard.

He is a fine chasing sort as Dom says and my only worry would be, will Hen risk him on this ground.

I personally cant see him being 11/2 either. If he was around 4/1 and upwards he would be the knocking each way bet for me.

At huge odds Emma Lavelle's horse at 50/1 is well overpriced. he traveled up well for a long way last time and didn't get home over 2m 5f. I'm not saying he'll place but 50/1 is a big price and I'm sure he will be nearer first than last.

For me however to lay Breedsbreeze looks the best option.

MOONHAWK could be the each way steal, impressive first time out, proven on the soft, open to improvement. granted it was an egg and spoon race it won but if some of these dont get home it could nick a place, trendsetta

Not a fan of beaten horses going from handicaps into Grade 1's. If they're as good as the trainers say or good enough to get competitive at Aintree they'll need to be 155+ horses - and being beaten in a handicap doesn't exactly help matters.

Calgary Bay for me :)

Had €25 ew Calgary Bay LTO at 14/1 to get me level with the beast. I think 1.95 is the bet to be placed. Shotgun to get him out of the frame.

Originally posted by Euronymous@Jan 5 2008, 09:49 AM
It`s always a bad sign for one of my rare saturday`s off work when a handicap hurdle is the race of the day.
I think the Tolworth is the race of the day. The handicap is a Cl2 race worth less than £20k to the winner.

Agreed though, the racing today is a load of cack.

Interesting you mention Talenti, Chris - he is a lovely looking beast, well built and imposing, looks every inch a nice horse. A word of caution though - I'd guess that although it may well be a decent animal in the making, this is it's 3rd run over hurdles so I'd say it's probably not going to show up much, if you know what I mean.....

.....I will be backing him on his 4th run however, in a valuable handicap hurdle I'd guess!!!

Choc is an interesting booking though, maybe my theory is wrong!!

It looked to me like CB didn't handle the ground very well.

Deep Purple ran a good race, still being there at the end despite helping Alsaada cut out the donkey work.

The winner had it won a long way out, I was worried Ruby had come too soon on him and he was pretty legless by the last.

Deep Purple is a tough customer all right.

I thought Deep Purple did well to stick with the winner after being up with that fast pace at the front throughout. Paul Nicholls provides the big race winner yet again. The novice division this season is looking wide open, no real clear cut star at this stage.

Calgary Bay not happy on the ground but it seems he was a tad overbet at 7/2 anyway. He will be a decent horse at 2m4 + on good ground, especially when he sees fences. Hen Knight's lack of form is a big worry in the short term with Mous of Men providing her only other winner since November.

Back