Tom Costello RIP

Aldaniti

At the Start
Jumps legend Tom Costello dies aged 77

By Lee Mottershead3.06PM 14 JUN 2009
FORMER trainer Tom Costello, best known as the man who sold on six winners of the Cheltenham Gold Cup including three-time winner Best Mate, has died aged 77.
One of jumping's true legends, Costello, whose other recent champions included One Man and Florida Pearl, died in a Limerick hospital after suffering a stroke on Friday.
"He was a legend," said Best Mate's trainer Henrietta Knight. "There will never be anyone like him again and what heachieved will never be equalled.
"Tom had a wonderful eye for a horse and knew where to find them. He was always more interested in the individual than the pedigree and his amazing knowledge of horses and the horse world was second to none.
"The great secret to his success was that his horses were always such wonderful jumpers because he trained them to jump so early. Tom's top horses were true athletes and when you went to see one of his horses you were always able to see them jump.
"I shall miss him enormously. I saw him for the last time about four or five weeks ago and I'll treasure that memory."

A legend. Paid peanuts for horses and was very successful selling them on, although he did have a lot of them to sell on.

Another genious lost. I always looked forward to the day he might have found one for me Dream on. One of the few who deserve to be called a legend.:rolleyes:

Back