Tom Dascombe

Harbinger

At the Start
In the last 23 years, only two trainers have won both of the Superlative Stakes and the July Stakes at the same July meeting.

To the names of Henry Cecil (twice) and Aidan O'Brien you can now add Tom Dascombe. Not bad company, eh?

Not bad rides by Richard Kingscote, I've been an admirer of his talent for a good three years or more now. Great to see him getting the chances.

Was great to see them today in the WE - Tom *hugged* RK and got pinker by the minute as he was mobbed by the press pack - he's a very modest guy. He ended up quite scarlet LOL. They both got a huge and heartfelt round of applause and cheers - inc from the reptiles! - very rare!!

Must say one of the highlights of the week were seeing his horses being led into the winners enclosure :)

Great result for TD

He really is an exceptional talent. I nearly got involved with a 2yo of his a couple of years ago and am gutted now that I didn't. The brother of a colleague of mine, Jonny, knows Tom very well and recommended he buy a quarter share in a juvenile; Jonny aked for my advice and I told him to go for it, offering to get involved if he did, but sadly he decided to spend the money on his children instead. Bummer.

We also considered him for our syndicate but the training fees were too high for our modest means which is a shame and he clearly is very talented.
I wonder whether watching Martin Pipe's way of training had any bearing on how he has approached training himself (as a former jockey there).

Mick de Kock taught him an awful lot as well and he was always very much on the ball with their horses in Dubai.

Back