Tom Jones

Sara

At the Start
I didn't realise the recently deceased Tom Jones was author of that witty ditty 'The Trainer' - which I just discovered reading his obit in The Telegraph. I remember his jumper Frenchman's Creek form the early 60s :brows:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2007/12/07/db0702.xml

David Arbo has a big framed print of the poem with caricatures by the Lambourn cartoonist whose name I always forget - Peter someone? - and I always enjoyed reading it when visiting the yard. From the obit:

<< Among Jones's recreations was writing verse, and he was the author of a poem - The Trainer - which became well known in racing circles. It begins: 'I envy the life of a trainer!' / Said a chap I met on a plane, / 'A lucrative life in the open / Surrounded by birds and champagne!'

The poem then chronicles the setbacks and headaches endured by trainers before concluding: It's normal in other professions / To prosper, retire and die / But trainers go on training horses - / I'm buggered if I can think why! >>

I know of at least three trainers who have said verse on display in their houses (usually a downstairs toilet I find) and I'd imagine that the spread on total number of trainers should be set pretty high. Any takers?

This is what your trainer has displayed Rory, I think my trainer has it displayed too!

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done

Back