Trainers in form.

Colin Phillips

At the Start
A couple of trainers have been catching my eye in the results these past couple of days, so I thought I'd take a look at the Adrian Massey site to see what has been happening.

In the last seven days :

Ian Williams has had five winners from nine runners, just has the one runner today........Haydock 4.40 Gifted Leader

Mark Prescott 2/5...............Epsom 6.50 Comedy Act

Michael Bell 2/5..................Yarmouth 2.30 Professor John

On the other hand Clive Cox is 0/22 for the last 14 days, so be wary if you fancy Den's Gift in the 7.25 at Epsom.

Ann Duffield seems to have horses running well, Fahey & Burke keep banging them in too.

Blimey...Clive Cox was banging them in about a month ago

This would be a useful thread to maintain. Great believer in trainer form myself, simply because it is quite logical. But it is not always analysed well in the press. Just today Godolphin was described in the press as "out of form" but closer look at past 14 days suggests they are running ok

Blimey...Clive Cox was banging them in about a month ago

This would be a useful thread to maintain. Great believer in trainer form myself, simply because it is quite logical. But it is not always analysed well in the press. Just today Godolphin was described in the press as "out of form" but closer look at past 14 days suggests they are running ok

looking at the odds of their runners in that time I thinks thats right

from another angle..they had 5/32 in those 14 days..about 15%

if you then compare their form in June over the last few years:

2008: 17%
2007: 22%
2006: 32%
2005: 12%
2004: 26%
2003: 22%

apart from the blip...it doesn't look so hot..so I suppose that people have got used to them being pretty hot and so think 15% isn't up to much.

problem i have is that some trainers seem to get their horses peaking for a week or two..then they seem to go easy on them..then suddnly hit form and you can't tell when that will be..by the time they show themselves to be in form you get on the tail end of them..its too late then.

C Cox can't suddenly be totally out of form after the run he just had..he has probably got a good few on easy for a while..is he really "out of form" would anyone think? He has had a couple of short ones turned over but there have been quite a few long priced ones there as well.

Today :

"Taffy" Salaman 2/4........ has Bountiful Bay Warwick 3.45 and Saharan Royal Salisbury 9.10.

Anne Duffield 4/9............has four runners at Beverley

Michael Bell is still 2/5

as is Sir Mark, but Prescott's last two have finished ninth of nine and 12th. of 12!!

The two that appear out of form, over the last 14 days, are Clive Cox and Walter Swinburn, both of whom have had 0/22 with their runners.

Most losing runs come to an end at some point, EC1.

I am only quoting the stats, not really making judgements.

For clivex, if no one else :

John Ryan in the last seven days has run two horses both have won, he has Kaolak in the 8.50 @ Nottingham.

Ed McMahon is 3/5 and has Floor Show in the Sandown 4.55.

Mel Brittain is 2/4 and he has four runners today.

At the other end of the scale, in the last 14 days :

Alan Berry is 0/20 and Walter Swinburn 0/19.

I weren't criticising Colin..just trying to broaden a discussion about the whole topic..the stats are always interesting..but can we make use of them?

for example..could we have layed C Cox's and made a profit?..doubtful because as you say the losing run ends when least expected.

How do we spot a trainer who is about to have 5 or 6 days of hot form?..is it possible etc.

All good questions, EC1.

I'm not sure how to make best use of the figures I have been putting up.

Smaller stables such as those of Marshalla Salaman have so few winners that it is unlikely that they will go on winning.

Another thing I haven't been taking into account is horses placing at long prices. This is where the Post's RTF is better.

Peter Makin is one trainer I spotted on Sunday as being in form. He only had the one runner and it ran third @ 40/1 at Salisbury. He popped in another winner yesterday.

All good questions, EC1.

I'm not sure how to make best use of the figures I have been putting up.

Smaller stables such as those of Marshalla Salaman have so few winners that it is unlikely that they will go on winning.

Another thing I haven't been taking into account is horses placing at long prices. This is where the Post's RTF is better.

Peter Makin is one trainer I spotted on Sunday as being in form. He only had the one runner and it ran third @ 40/1 at Salisbury. He popped in another winner yesterday.

and another yesteday

interesting that big priced placed horses could be the pointer to a stable coming into form.

interesting that big priced placed horses could be the pointer to a stable coming into form.

W J Knight would seem to be one of those hitting the crossbar at the moment, a host of winners to come in the near future?

W J Knight would seem to be one of those hitting the crossbar at the moment, a host of winners to come in the near future?

interesting that the stable does well usually in July but is 0/11 at the moment...could be worth watching as you say Steve

next two entries are in the 8.00 and 8.30 tomorrow night at Windsor

Back