Trainer's Responsibilities

Guest_

At the Start
I note the RP have a note up for tomorrow's paper on the website for Alastair Down's piece stating

"Racing's leading writer on the obligation of the sport's professionals not to conceal information about a horse's wellbeing"

I presume this is in reference to O'Brien not announcing the injury to Rip Van Winkle sooner. A more than valid point but I wonder will he mention the same paper's columnist Paul Nicholls who in his weekly piece (indeed daily piece during the festival) failed to mention that What A Friend in the build up to the race had a runny nose and was not himself. Announced in his column the day after the result....

I'd imagine the name Bolger and Teofilo might figure prominently. Sounds like a few journos might have done their money before they could lay it off:lol:

Is he seriously going to criticise O'Brien for not being open enough two days after he galloped 46 horses in full view of anyone who wanted to stay at the Curragh and the ATR cameras? I hope we're being previous...

Is he seriously going to criticise O'Brien for not being open enough two days after he galloped 46 horses in full view of anyone who wanted to stay at the Curragh and the ATR cameras? I hope we're being previous...

I don't think people leran too much from public gallops. Without a context all you can tell is that a horse can run. You never know what the trainer is trying to achieve from a gallop.

I don't think people leran too much from public gallops. Without a context all you can tell is that a horse can run. You never know what the trainer is trying to achieve from a gallop.

That is fair enough, but not many trainers provide leaflets for the public of all the runners in each group, all the jockeys and use saddle cloths with numbers to identify each and every horse...O'Brien did that yesterday.

That is fair enough, but not many trainers provide leaflets for the public of all the runners in each group, all the jockeys and use saddle cloths with numbers to identify each and every horse...O'Brien did that yesterday.

Can't ask for (much) more than that.

generally trainers and connections are much more open than they used to be. Betting has never been easier and with all the Irish racing coverage we are getting these days,Chelt was a much easier nut to crack. I admire this honesty.

Alistair Down did write a particularly sychophantic piece on Godolphin not so long ago didn't he? Mind you Darley announced a sponsorship for CH4 about 2 weeks later;) I guess there has to be a degree of pragmatism too. I'm trying to think what i would have done if I was aware that the continuation of CH4 coverage hinged on finding a new sponsor to off-set the costs to the broadcaster? Yeah... we might not like it, but there are times where the sensible thing to do is suspend your better judgement in the name of pragmatism, I guess it becomes a uestion of how much you make a habit of it. Something tells me that Ballydoyle won't be too concerned.

Did Bolger appear?

Generally trainers and connections are much more prolific at bullshiting about ground/conditions for their horses than they used to be. Betting has never been easier with all the bookmaking adverts on essentially pay-per-view channels, and I admire the vast majority of the racing press for their stern rebuttle's of this bullshit in their pay-per-view papers

Well said Rod!:p

Seriously though, my point is if your account of things are anything to go by, it's NEVER been easier to glean things from trainers, if your an owner or someone who's been inside the game for a long time. Me thinks most ordinary folk just like a flutter and would rather not listen to half the unadulterated nonsense that comes out they're mouths. That goes for the press as well.

Last edited:
The first eight pages of any saturdays racing post is now written entirely by trainers , who hassled by journos the morning before, probably whilst on their way to a racecourse or trying to eat their lunch or talk to a client, have their arms twisted into saying something about their chances tomorrow.... anything, say something, anything, fill the paper for us, be open, do our jobs for us, please!

Fair do's. TBH it's been so long since I read a racing post so I suppose I can't really even comment with any great detail.

If I do read it again I would personally like to hear the following things from trainers regarding their horses.

a) Is your horse up to the level your pitching it in, if so, do you have it in the type of form that would see it (in your opinion) run a good race?

b) How has the horse been in training, i.e forward or backward etc.

Those are generalisations but I highlight them because all too often trainers have talked like they're only middle men, whereas they should be talking like people who actually know about the horses their training. A lot of the time (if you didn't know who the quotes were from) you really couldn't tell whether they were from some hack or internet blogger, or even a bookie!!!

Perhaps I should start reading the post again eh?

Last edited:
I'll give Greg Wood the benefit of the doubt for the headline and put it down to an over-excited sub-ed. Fiasco? :rolleyes: Yeah, a horse has a common problem months before a big race and it's a fiasco if all the journos aren't immediately told so they can get laying before relaying the news to the rest of us...

My favourite trainers comment ever in the post was Mick Easterby talking about one of his horses in a midweek handicap.The comment was something like "he is in great form I am confident he will win".Horse started at something like 33/1 and was tailed off.I'd say he didn't have to worry about journalists calling him for a few weeks.

Personally I'd be more inclined to disregard most of what he has to say.

A matter for you.

However, I suspect that he might have been prepared to share it with us if, say, Kauto Star had had a problem after the King George that meant they "couldn't do much with him for about six weeks." And that's how it should be.

The first eight pages of any saturdays racing post is now written entirely by trainers , who hassled by journos the morning before, probably whilst on their way to a racecourse or trying to eat their lunch or talk to a client, have their arms twisted into saying something about their chances tomorrow.... anything, say something, anything, fill the paper for us, be open, do our jobs for us, please!

Wouldn't blame the journalists - I'd blame the editor in that case

"They both wintered well and seem to be fine" AOB regarding MCM and RVW 5 days before the gallop.
"We couldn't do much with him for about six weeks" AOP regarding RVW last Sunday.

I don´t care if any trainer decides to be open to public or not, but I don´t like those kind of contradicting comments. How could a horse have wintered well when he´s been injured and unable to do much for six weeks ?

Generally speaking PWN is as open and honest a trainer as I`ve ever heard and a credit to the industry. He evens puts his weekend hopes in his article. Can`t ask for more than that . As for tittle tattle ,I am sure I haven`t got to advise you wise sages on this forum,but I have been involved with trainers some of whom would say when the horse was trying it was OFF,and others who use the terminology in the same circumstances that it is ON. When this passes through a dozen mouths and ears,you know the result.:rolleyes:

PWN when he took a few out of the GN just after the Gold Cup, reported in the RP:
"Nozic will run anyway, if he gets top weight so be it"

Today's RP headline on the websiteL
http://www.racingpost.com/news/hors...e-weights-for-topham-chase-at-aintree/173158/

Sometimes I wish trainers would NOT be so open, as they tend to say whatever comes into theier heads.... LOL And of course those who speak most freely are just those who get asked most often

Back