Tuesday 28th May 2024

yorick

Conditional
Yesterday’s racing just couldn’t raise any enthusiasm from me at all. No bets, no winners, no losers. No damage.

It’s still early doors for the season and there’s still a way to go before I start to feel relaxed about the form. When that happens, I will feel a lot more confident. Having said that, there have been not many dinks in my betting armour so far when I have ventured out to play on the flat, and my notebook is beginning to fill. All I have to do now is make sure those that are noted really have been picked successfully. It’s important, I think, to keep my head, be patient and test the water , so to speak, before I feel I can commit with confidence.

Today is the perfect example. I have three that have been noted and, to be honest, It would take some bravura to start bandying them around as good bets. There are several flies in several jars of ointment.

Firstly, let’s get this fellow out of the way: it’s Juryman – 2.00 Redcar 11/1 ew

I’ll be honest, I make it a rule never to back habitual slow starters and this is one such monkey. However, just this once I shall have an Ew peek since he’s recently joined the Coward stable and on his first run for them, he still broke last but really lost little ground at the start. I’m hoping that his new surroundings will help his starter motor somewhat. If not, he’s gone, as far as I’m concerned. I like the Joanna Mason booking so, just this once.

Next up is one that is full of ifs and buts. Rogue Trader – 3.25 Leicester 12/1 Ew

Here we are with a class five handicap with three first-time handicappers from stables who do very well with three-year-olds on the course. Frankly, Ralph Becket’s Balletic looks the one to be on and I shall do this EW. Given the opposition on show and the fact that the going won’t be ideal for RT, I shall do only an Ew ‘insurance bet’ on him too. Drifting like the proverbial, I see.

Lastly, I must have a look at Angel Of The Bay – 2.35 Redcar 22/1 Ew.

I ‘ve been keeping my eye on this one and now they’ve dusted off the cobwebs with his first run (first on turf, too) last time out, and running in his first handicap, I think he might be worth a bet. I think he’ll act on the soft ground, given the breeding and I’m hoping for a fair run for my money.

So, hardly ringing endorsements, are they, but I write them, as always, to share my hopes and heartaches.

Let’s see what happens to this crew.

Last edited:
I think it’s handicap debut in this one today for Angel Of The Bay, yo. He’s down in Class from last time, but kept at 7fur so doesn’t qualify for the “handicap debut, down in class, up in distance” thing. Oh, it’s the 2:35, too :)

Good luck.

Yes, of course: doh! I knew that and still got it wrong.
Another thing (What's my problem, this morning?), he ran against Berrygate in Jan @ Newcastle and wasn't far behind at all (doubt if he was wound up, either) yet today we see Berrygate at 4's and AOTB @ 20's

Last edited:
Back