Tuesday 2nd July 2024

yorick

Conditional
Reigning profit ran a lovely race yesterday and it looked to me that the stable were trying their best with this one but were beaten on the day by what will prove to be an improver. No complaints from me and no pocket damage either. So, today. I've couple that I have been watching and will have an interest in. The first of these is just a personal thing which I'll share but not recommend as a good bet. It's Judicieuse Allen. (4.08 Tipp)This mare is making her chasing debut today and is bound to start a short favourite, being one of Mullins'. To be honest, I noticed her last time out in a handicap hurdle and, If I'm honest, I wonder if this may be a masking run before going for a Galway Festival handicap hurdle but, at the same time, she is shot through with chasing blood so, although she's hardly a price I'd walk into a bookies for, I'm having an interest. I write this on my blog in the name of transparency.

My main bet today will be:

Londoner - 3.15 Hamilton 9/1 Ew Skybet 4 places (last night)

I noticed how this ex-Obrien gelding ran on two occasions this term which had me thinking some lofty ideas about where the wily old Jim would place him and even nursed a notion that a hunt Cup or Cambridgeshire might be in the offing. In both of those runs, I believed he was travelling quite nicely enough, think you, before being checked in his run on both occasions., The first of which was Ascot's Victoria Cup a very useful guideline for form lines. Being beaten around seven lengths by Wizard Of Eye is not shabby at all, given the interference he suffered so I had him noted for his next run , off 2Lbs lighter' last time out, again over 7f and again meeting interference. Now we find him, 3Lbs lighter still over 1m and I'm having a Ew pop, securing 9/1 last night with Skybet, Ew for 4 places.

Now, I share this knowing that I'm not sure about what his optimal trip will be: it could range from 7f-1m 1f, I'd guess. Also, he only a 4yo and has his racing career ahead of him, to be fair, so he will have time to develop and mature before his full talents ae revealed. If we add to this that his handler is The Wily One, then, of course, there is definitely more than a trace of guesswork here.. You know how it goes: the horse loses today but we end up seeing him win The Cambridgeshire or Hunt Cup in two seasons time. I think you know where I'm coming from. Still, the horse is rated 9lbs lower in the ratings than at the start of the season and might well benefit from rising again if higher targets are planned further down the line.

So, I'll be having a win single on JA and an Ew single on Londoner, as described above, as well as a small Win Double.

Back