Soleil Fix (FR) 9.g
Zacharova (IRE) 7.g
Openide 9.g
Lord Nellerie (FR) 11.g
King Harald (IRE) 12.g
Idle Talk (IRE) 11.g
Philson Run (IRE) 14.g
Maidstone Mixture (FR) 5.h

In the weekender stable tour, he said she will be spot on and he doesn't seem in the least bit worried she is going there without a run. Considering he seemed to be giving fair opinions on the chances of his horses, I would take this as a positive.

Suprised GC is still backable in the Cross country

Me too. I think I'm missing something as he should be around 11/8 from where I'm standing. Weight has much less effect in cross country, and he has the best pilot, dual winner in his prime now, and his main challenger will most likely dog it given the chance.

After Christmas I decided I was going to lay Quevega for as much as I possibly could.I was persuaded not to do it.The meaningful opposition bar one horse has faded away but QUevega is still the same price and at one stage this morning there was nobody looking to back her on Betfair.
I say she won't start favourite and gets stuffed.

I think she's around 1/8 to start favourite.

I think she is much more likely to win her race than Dunguib, and at odds against is a cracking bet. everything bar a recent run on her side, and very upbeat bulletins on her fitness.

everything bar a recent run on her side, and very upbeat bulletins on her fitness.
Not many Festival winners have ever had such a layoff and, upbeat noises or not, it has to be a huge worry. The reason she will start favourite is because it's such a god-awful race! Does anyone have a view on Voler La Vedette's stamina. I thought she had no problem with the trip but one or two "experts" suggesting she might struggle to see it out.

I think 1-8 to start favourite is wide of the mark.I can't believe anyone would bring a horse to the festival for their first run since the previous summer.There has to be a serious chance of her completely blowing out.

Not many Festival winners have ever had such a layoff and, upbeat noises or not, it has to be a huge worry. The reason she will start favourite is because it's such a god-awful race! Does anyone have a view on Voler La Vedette's stamina. I thought she had no problem with the trip but one or two "experts" suggesting she might struggle to see it out.

Part of the reason i suggested that was exactly as it is such a god awful race!

I agree about your first point, but this isn't really a 'festival' race. It's a mares race which, the two market leaders aside, wouldn't draw much attention. Therefore, i am willing to gamble on her fitness - if she was race fit, she's 4/6 for me max.

Nothing wrong with the concept of the race but outside of the top two you're really struggling for a 135-140 horse in the rest of the field which is why I was very strong on the Mullins novice for the race.

There's a potential improver in the race (Sway) and a good novice (Premier Victory) but outside of that you're looking at a field of handicappers.

It speaks volumes of these graded mares races that Pepite De Soleil who was getting well beaten in handicaps came back off levels to run a blinder behind Zarinava and co at Doncaster.

The mares program in general isn't great but you have to stage these races in order for owners to want to keep their mares in training or put them over jumps and the first few renewals will be relatively poor and lack depth but I'd say this years renewal is better than last years (two 150+ horses in 2010 compared to one in 2009) and last years renewal better than 08's.

If they retire Quevega this year you've the prospect of Voler La Vedette, Morning Supreme, For Bill, Sway and maybe one or two others (import from France, Kiely's mare Araucaria etc.) in the 2011 running of the race.

I'm trying not to ask that question Granger - I took prices after last years Mares Hurdle (as well as for Hurricane Fly) and then prices on Morning Supreme for the Mares Hurdle a couple of months ago :(

Back