Tuesday's Thoroughbred Treats

betsmate

At the Start
I’m sure all eyes will be on today’s feature, the Class 3 Play Golf At Southwell Golf Club Handicap…

Desperation has drawn me to looking at this fodder, but in the spirit of “where there’s muck, there’s brass” it saves me doing any real work.

Xpres Maite is the 2/1 favourite, presumably based on his last run and win over course and distance. That run broke a sequence of 11 straight defeats and only the fact that everything went his way was he able to defy his career-high mark. Today he is up another five pounds and takes another step up in class.

The opposition:

Ingleby Arch is a regular on the northern Class 2/3 circuit. Three of his six wins have come over today’s course and distance, one of which less than a year ago came off a mark of 84. Today he runs off 79 (has won off 97 on the turf). Probably the class horse of the race, but he needs to bounce back from a disappointing effort last time out.

Realt Na Mara won over course and distance last time out. Two out of four of his victories have been over course and distance. Just over a year ago he gave a 1 length and 5lb beating to Xpress Maite; today he is in receipt of 12lb! Runs off 73 today, which would be a career-high win, but he does have a C&D second off 74. 18 career starts might just make him the least-exposed of this thoroughly exposed bunch!

Bo McGinty’s price reflects that he is a 5f horse running over 6f. A couple of victories at Southwell show that he likes the place well enough. He has won once over 6f and he placed in a trappy Class 2 round here last year. Also placed over 6f in a Class 3 here. Not a frequent winner, but always in this kind of company whereas others in the race are stepping up from Class 5 and 6s. 4lb below his last winning mark.

Came Back has won 7 of his 14 starts in the last year. 5 of which have been over course and distance. That said, the most recent have been at a lowly level. A Class 3 victory off 90 at Great Leighs and a career high win mark of 92 a couple of months ago, make today’s 82 seem fair.

Thoughtsofstardom would appear to need the minimum trip at a lower class.

Verdict

Realt Na Mara and to a lesser extent Came Back make the most appeal at the prices, whilst Ingleby Arch could well win again at this level. I’d want to be against the favourite all day though and a straight lay in a field of six is my call. I’d be hopeful that one of three or four could step up and beat him.

A valiant effort. Commendable.

Personally I would be against the three outsiders, maybe mixing forecasts with the first three in the betting. It would probably pay less than 1/1 money though depending on the result and I will certainly find other odds on shots in the coming days that I would be somewhat more enthusiastic about.

I would go with Realt Na Mara as the value, but wouldn't want to take on the favourite specifically when half the field look set up to run badly.

Handicap-mark managing is my biggest fear, but surely connections of Xpres Maite would be daft to go and win off this mark?

Point taken, but the horse has a record of following every first win for a period with a second win. Granted we're not on a very firm statistical footing, but maybe being in the mood is the crucial factor for him.

Last edited:
I think it's between Xpres Maite and Ingleby Arch but Came Back worries me at a bigger price. I'm not getting involved unless there is value before the off, I probably would have done if there were a tricast on offer.

Favourite was given a lot to do :)

Mel got his Forecast and Gamla Stan would have had the tricast.

It's easy this muck racing.

Last edited:
In fairness, my forecast would have paid £7.11 for every £6 invested. Not really great value all things considered.

Back