TV Licence?

harry

At the Start
Could you live without BBC TV if it meant not paying it?

I hardly ever watch the terrestrial channels and would gladly have them switched off my package.

I don't think that the licence is specific to watching the BBC. This from the licensing website:
'You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.'
If you mean, would I prefer to have no TV licence and no BBC funded by the licence, the answer would be 'no' not least because of all the excellent radio broadcasting.

Last edited:
The only terrestrial channel with zero merit is ITV.

I'm a big fan of the Beeb - the bad things are bad, but the good things tend to be excellent.

If you mean, would I prefer to have no TV licence and no BBC funded by the licence, the answer would be 'no' not least because of all the excellent radio broadcasting.
Well said; it's easy to forget that the TV Licence includes the Radio Licence, which - until the early '70s I think - was separate. So if you didn't own a TV you still had to pay a Radio Licence. Now, of course, if you have no TV you pay nowt for the privilege of listening to ab fab BBC Radio; for which I'd happily pay the full TV Licence anyway

BBC TV is a tarnished jewel but still glitters in bright light. BBC4 is bright but is underfunded now with too many repeats; a situation that may change when BBC3 is shifted to on-line only

My main gripe with the Beeb is, given that the TV Licence is compulsory, why do they feel they have to compete ratings-wise with the competition?

I watch little TV but it can deliver.

Radio 4 is an absolute gem . Radio 3 is growing on me all the time

But as with any public corporation there is a lot of waste and overstaffing. Maybe that has been addressed but my brother (who is middling politically) worked on a contract there for a few months and said he reckoned about one in four staff actually did anything on any given day

Back