Value The Key

Cantoris

At the Start
Irish courses in bid to halt slump in attendance

By Brian Fleming4.47PM 13 AUG 2009
IRELAND'S courses are planning to offer racegoers "value for money" in attempt to halt the decline in attendances this year.
Various special offers to paying customers will be discussed next month by racecourse managers in meetings with Horse Racing Ireland, although across-the-board admission price cuts may not be possible.
This year total attendances are down 17 per cent and the seven-day Galway Festival, so often the yardstick for the overall trend during the year in terms of crowd and betting turnover, decreased by 18%.
5838.jpg
Paddy Walsh: 'value for money'
PICTURE: Caroline Norris
Paddy Walsh, chairman of the Association of Irish Racecourses, said on Thursday: "We held a meeting with racecourse managers during the Galway Festival and the key expression is value for money as that is what people are looking for these days given the current economic situation.
"It's a difficult time for every business and some of the offers on the table are ‘two for one' offers at certain meetings and a pricing policy for under 18s. No date has been set yet to discuss this matter further but I reckon it will be sometime next month.
"Reducing admission is not a guarantee to attract more customers on certain days so we'll have to look at each individual track and the day in question. It's at an early stage of development but the topic is close to all our hearts."
The level of admission at Galway, where entry cost €30 on the Wednesday and Thursday of the festival, came in for criticism and HRI do want to look at the issue.
HRI's director of racing Jason Morris told the Irish Times: "Attendances are obviously the main topic of conversation at the moment and we are planning to meet the racecourses to look at the whole area of returning attendances to previous levels.
"They will be open sessions where we will try to collect the best ideas from across the industry. Everything will be on the agenda, including admission prices. It will certainly be one of the things on our agenda."

I will be attending the Galway mini festival and the Irish Champion Stakes in a few weeks time, so I presume I will be asked, as a racegoer, for my views when I go through the gates?? I'd say not. When you hear things like "Some of the offers on the table are 'two for one' at certain meetigns" you know they are more than likely going to offer very little. It's a bit like the Cheltenham offer for the 4 saturdays. Make it a real offer and throw in Club on Paddy Power day.

I work in the hotel industry and some of the leading players there are coming up with creative ideas, particularly for those using their loyalty schemes. For example, previously you couldn't use your points during "blackout dates" so if there was a concert on or a big event. They've done away with that......so you could use your points to book a hotel in Galway which would have been €250 a night when a week later it would be €100. Kids eat free. 3 for 2 whether you are paying or using your points. Extra points if you eat in the restuarant or have a spa treatment.

Why can't the racecourses introduce something like this, a meaningful offer to attract people. But as I said, I'll be racing four times in a week in early September and I bet I won't be asked once for my view.

These are real offers.

"It's at an early stage of development but the topic is close to all our hearts."

so close that;

"No date has been set yet to discuss this matter further"

Urm..... doesn't inspire confidence does it.

Although it's clearly a bit of a journalistic spin, I am slightly tickled by the idea that ...... IRELAND'S courses are planning to offer racegoers "value for money":lol:

Right!!! radicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal. It begs an offer obvious retort really doesn't it? So for how long then Mr Walsh have you been happy to offer a product that you tacitly admit isn't value for money? and that the concept of value for money had never previously entered into your thinking?

On the same page in the Post Dundalk are moaning about how their business has been effected by the fx rate (I do have some sympathy when it's fx rate based). Interestingly they run their own catering and bar and charge town prices for their drink. Pity the other racecourses in Ireland don't do the same. Price of a beef roll is outragous. It costs more on Irish tracks to get a beef roll, soup and a cuppa than to enter the racecourse.

Good post, Cantoris. I regularly get dinner, bed and breakfast for £29 in a hotel near where I work (it costs me just under £20 a day for diesel to travel to work and back so it's a good deal for me if I'm very tired) and they now know me quite well, to the point where, if I ask nicely, they'll give me a double room for that price.

Good post, Cantoris. I regularly get dinner, bed and breakfast for £29 in a hotel near where I work (it costs me just under £20 a day for diesel to travel to work and back so it's a good deal for me if I'm very tired) and they now know me quite well, to the point where, if I ask nicely, they'll give me a double room for that price.

double eh? :whistle:

:)

£29?! I get suspicious if a hotel charges less than around £75, usually means they're grotty little boxes! The going rate seems to be around the £100 mark down here (even further up North too), and even paying that you can't be sure you're staying somewhere decent nowadays. I paid £75 for a room in a hotel a couple of years ago in York and discovered on getting there that it didn't even have an en-suite bathroom; I hadn't paid much notice when booking it since I've not come across hotel rooms without en-suite bathrooms since I was about 9, and certainly never stayed anywhere (even when a kid) without an en-suite.

Life must be a hell of a lot cheaper over the border.

It depends on your needs, Shads.

If you are prepared to go really spartan, Travelodge will give you somewhere to lay your head and provide an en-suite for less than £30. Don't expect an early-morning call and breakfast though. Practically nil in the way of customer service.

Won't touch Travelodge I'm afraid; horrible places. I've also seen plenty of Travelodges charge £99/night - can't understand why anyone would pay that to stay in one of their horrible little boxes. Premier Travel Inns aren't so bad most of the time if there's nowhere else though.

This is the place.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/gre...71455044;ws=&gclid=CM6Wjd2npZwCFU0B4wodL1dZjg

I'm not looking for anything fancy. This place is functional and clean. Dinner isn't great but it's three courses (used to be four plus tea or coffee) and breakfast is the full works. I'm not sure whether it's worth three stars but I've stayed in worse four-star hotels abroad.

I get special rates as a return customer, having used one of the chain's hotels up north for a family holiday some years ago. Last year they did me the deal for £25 dbb and they threw in afternoon tea on arrival. Another time they gave me a voucher for a drink at the bar, so that was a pint of Guinness I wasn't expecting.

Last edited:
Back