Victoria Cup

Gamla Stan

At the Start
Heritage Handicaps aren't usually my thing but this event interested me a great deal with a likeable favourite and three very appealing big priced EW selections.

I think the favourite is a very good thing and is a clichéd "group horse in a handicap" and the 6/1 seems very generous and should be snapped up asap. He's won his last four and the time of his Sandown race was sensational and was most definitely a group class time, one only needs to compare it with Paco Boy on the same card to see the small difference given the gulf in class. The second also came out and won a decent handicap at Newmarket last weekend and he should be about half his price.

A couple of outsiders that caught my eye were two horses that were drawn high in the 6f handicap on 1000 Guineas day; Golden Desert and Rileyskeepingfaith who are both 50/1 pokes but ran respectably when trapped on the outside from their poor draws last weekend. The time of that race was very hot, the best on the card in fact and as they are also both polytrack horses, they should, like most of their ilk, go well at Ascot.

David Marnane should also be respected when he brings one over and my fourth bet in the race will be Dandy Boy at 25/1 who also ran in a very hot race on the clock at Dundalk lto and I suspect he'll enjoy Ascot and be in the mix bar any trouble in-running or draw nonsense.

Anyone have any thoughts?

It's not giving much away to say that Dhaular Dhar is well fancied given the way his price has contracted, do keep an eye out for those paying 5 places though, most of the usual suspects, Bet365, Boylesports, Skybet (Swinton for them too), Blue Sq, Stan James to name a few.

With you on Dandy Boy Gamla - he was 2/6 on his raids to the UK in 2009 including the big sprint at Doncaster's Leger meeting with Santo Padre who had a very similar profile to this one (improving 4yo).

The Group horse in a handicap cliche is the overall theme to this race but I reckon Prime Exhibit came up against one in the Lincoln and even though i'm a bit worried by his draw he's a must win and place bet at 18.5 on the machine. The favourite is rock solid though and when a horse wins a handicap as easily as he did at Sandown I don't really care (within reason) how much he goes up. Ten pounds won't stop him winning imo. 6.2 is worth taking.

Thanks to those drawing attention to Dandy Boy. Because of your comments had decent punt this morning. a very nice pick up. Drinks if we ever meet.

Funny, here's me wishing the fecker had stayed in Ireland. That hurt ofter the raping I took at Chester yesterday.

Would have prefered Mabait getting up as had backed him win only and the Irish thing EW but will take that!

Funny, here's me wishing the fecker had stayed in Ireland. That hurt ofter the raping I took at Chester yesterday.

You are not alone. Had my worst week in the last two years that I can remember after getting a few quid last week. The highlight was Duncan who like me, dogs it when he gets in front.

My nap of the day was a place lay of Barshina -was very smug through the race with the exception of the last 100 yards.went on an insane tilt after that actually backed dandy boy but had a mega place lay on the fav.worst 24 hours -ever.

Negative after-timing is just below complaining about the recession on my list of dislikes.

How about going on a blind date on your birthday and discovering the lady has a deeper voice than you? I. am. not. happy.

EDIT: It wasn't after timing anyway, i'd already metioned who I was backing in the race.

Last edited:
The last two races on C4 on saturday have turned my entire year around. Good shout with Dandy Boy lads. Marnane is definitely a trainer to follow.

Back