Voy Por Ustedes back in training

Good news, hopefully all is well and he`s enjoying his new surroundings.

Voy Por Ustedes in shock move to Henderson yard

BY JON LEES 4:00PM 25 JAN 2011

VOY POR USTEDES, winner of the Seasons Holidays Queen Mother Champion Chase in 2007, has returned to training and joined trainer Nicky Henderson.

The five-time Grade 1 winner, formerly Alan King's stable star, has not been seen in action since last April, having been given time off in the care of owner Sir Robert Ogden's veterinary team.

Nicky Henderson: high-class arrival

PICTURE: Martin Lynch

In a statement to the Racing Post, Barry Simpson, racing manager to Ogden, said on Tuesday: "Sir Robert felt a fresh initiative would be beneficial to the horse and he has joined Nicky Henderson at Seven Barrows where he has four other horses in training.

"The horse has settled in well in his new routine, he thrives on his work and still appears to be most enthusiastic.

"At present, Voy Por Ustedes does not hold any entries for the Cheltenham Festival, but if everything goes to plan he will be aimed towards Aintree, Punchestown and Fairyhouse. "

Voy Por Ustedes, also winner of the Irish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy and the John Smith's Melling Chase twice, suffered a disappointing 2009-10 campaign, culminating in a fifth-placed finish in the Masterson Holdings Silver Trophy Chase at Cheltenham, his last outing on a racecourse.

Simpson added: "Following the close of the 2009-10 season where the form of Voy Por Ustedes had deteriorated considerably, it was decided to carry out a full-scale veterinary investigation.

"Subsequently, following several tests including a bone scan, it was found Voy Por Ustedes had sustained a fracture to his ilium wing and was also suffering from significant pain in his lumbar region and left hind stifle.

"It was thought the fracture occurred early on in training during 2009 and possibly during his race at Ascot, where he jumped so badly when finishing third toAlbertas Run in the Amlin Chase. It should be stressed the normal symptoms shown for this type of injury were not apparent at that time.

"Sir Robert's veterinary team imposed a strict regime for the horse to follow through the summer months and it is only now the horse is completely sound.

"It is far too early to say if the treatment and rest given to Voy Por Ustedes will be sufficient for the horse to stand training, however Sir Robert wishes to give him every possible chance to show he retains some of his previous form.

Sir Robert Ogden: fresh approach

PICTURE: Edward Whitaker

"If that level of form is not forthcoming, the horse will be retired and will return to Sir Robert's farm in Yorkshire."

King's stable jockey Robert Thornton used his column in the Racing Post on Monday to pay tribute to the horse he credited with raising his own profile.

Thornton said: "Voy Por Ustedes is one of the best horses I've ridden. I've been aboard him for 29 races, winning 11 and being placed in another 11. His career earnings to date are just £6,000 short of £1 million."

Thornton added: "He raised my profile enormously, and I put him in the same bracket as My Way De Solzen and Katchit when it comes to the top horses I'm lucky to have been associated with."

View Voy Por Ustedes's glittering career in pictures with our photo gallery

FacebookDelicious

Rather odd that they didn't bother making any Cheltenham entries for him, so I imagine that he's only come right very recently and they're rushing a spring campaign. Also odd that Nicky Henderson has made no mention of having the horse in his RP column as the suggestion is that he's been there a while.

"Left hind stifle"? :lol: I'd be seriously concerned to find it anywhere else.

I've Googled 'equine iliac wing fracture', which does provide some evidence that horses can return to training and work; however, it is guarded in that due to this being a pelvic area fracture, there may be some shortening of the stride. What it does make very plain is that both humans and horses presenting with this injury would definitely be showing distress - humans to the point of the pain rendering them unconscious, horses with heavy sweating and showing a dropped hip, reluctance to move, etc. And the longer it goes untreated, the more necrotising can take place. Thus Simpson's remark about the injury not showing up 'at the time' doesn't ring quite true.

Last edited:
He has not been there that long.

Ogden informed King that he would not be sending back a few other horses, but VPU was scheduled to return there. Sir Robert is a demanding owner, remember he moved Marlborough to France (then ran him on the boggy ground he hated and sent him back to Nicky) AFTER he had won the Racing Post Chase for them at the age of12! He also gave a bit of grief to Nicholls over Star De Mohaison and no longer has horses there.

We'll never know the truth of what happened to VPU. I have always totally adored him and was heartbroken when his form tailed off. He took such stick about being 'past it'. Anyone who knew him could see he was not right. He was in the very best of hands, had all kinds of tests and nothing came up. These things do happen, even to the best of trainers and vets etc. The same kind of thing happened to me with a pointer we owned.

I'm gutted for the King team who bought the horse, nurtured him, believed in him and loved him. BUT - he is in good hands again luckily and hopefully if he retains any of his ability he might get one more decent season.

According to reports(in his own words) King will miss the horse, but not all of the stuff that comes with him!!

I'd love to know - Sean Boyce/Alan Lee/Aussie Jim mentioned them 'having words' last year over the training of the horse, and mentioned with somewhat rolled eyes how Ogden has changed trainers 'quite frequently', also that he was tending to move away from NH now that he spent so much time wintering on cruises.

Typical, I but the bloody paper .... and there is never anything in it. Then when I don't buy it there is actually someting I'd like to read.

If anyone has a copy of the text I'd love to read it. I am not a member on the RP and it will not let you read this one unless you are. :(

It didn't say much tbh.

Blah, blah, blah...enjoyed great success....blah, blah, blah...didn't see eye to eye....blah, blah, blah...as stubborn as each other...blah, blah, blah....will miss the horse but not what went with him. I may be a bit short on blah, tbh.

The blahs verbatim (promising headline about revealing the details but little flesh):
"I knew before Christmas he wasn't coming back to me," said King. "Sir Robert and I had a difference of opinion in the summer. We couldn't reach an agreement - we are probably as stubborn as one another really - and I no longer train for him.
"It's a pity after what we've been through with the horse. He has been very special to us. He will certainly never be forgotten by me or Choc [Thornton] or anybody at Barbury Castle, but these things happen.
"Over the years we haven't lost very many owners but this has happened. I will miss the horse but I won't miss what went with him."

I am always amazed that for such a rich man Robert Ogden does not appear to have splashed out on a top dentist.

THANK you Rory, Steve .... and Ardross! (:D) And not forgetting Luke of course!

Hmm. Well I figured Alan would speak up eventually and I think what he said is pretty fair.

Last edited:
Back