Walsh's Ride On Gwanako

• Thread starter Thread starter useful
  • Start date Start date
U

useful

In another thread I was asked why I hadn't included Walsh in my Top 5 jockeys to have on your side when gambling.

Hopefully watching today's ride on Gwanako answers that for you.

He has now exported his dubious hold up tactics at the rural Irish tracks to Grade 1 tracks in the UK.

How he thought giving a 20 length lead to the once highly regarded Mr Quasimodo, being tested in first time blinkers, was going to enhance his chances is anybody's guess.

Switch cards to Bangor 10 minutes later and Sam Thomas shows how you a) ride a waiting race in the UK and b) take remedial action and get your horse into the race having made a blunder when initially creeping into the contest.

Nicholls has publicly stated that he is often concerned with Walsh's exaggerated waiting tactics. Obviously fell on deaf ears.

I don't know what the relationship is like between the two, but I sincerely hope messrs Nicholls and Stewart gave him one hell of a rollicking.

The sooner Nicholls gives Thomas the job full time the better (their respective performances at Donnie and Sandown on Saturday still fresh in the mind).

How good do you think Gwanako would be over fences-personally I think he will be no great shakes.
Surely if you don't rate Ruby today was an ideal opportunity to lay Gwanako.I would say I lay Ruby more then any other jockey because you often get a chance to trade out at a guaranteed profit.
Sam Thomas is fine as a jockey but in all fairness Ruby is different class.

Originally posted by useful@Feb 8 2008, 08:51 PM
He has now exported his dubious hold up tactics at the rural Irish tracks to Grade 1 tracks in the UK.
Yes, Walsh should be riding them from the front...a bit like Mark Johnston's are ridden, perhaps?

The winner went a right good gallop on the decent ground. It was Gwanakos first race over fences ( ok he had won his only chase in France). Asking him to go up with Mister Quasimodo from the outset may have been a big question to ask.

I agree that I thought the waiting ride was over-exaggerated, however I also believe Gwanako is no great shakes either and that they did go off fast. Mind you the way Ruby rode it you'd think it was a motorbike, not a horse.

I always sit up and take notice when Ruby makes the running-I backed Ornais at 2.8 because of that.
I thought he gave Regal Heights a great ride to finish second to Denman-I had laid him for a good few quid beforehand without the fav and thought he had no chance 4 out.

No need to be childish Gus.

If you read my post you will note I praised Sam Thomas for his hold up ride aboard Venetia's grey mare at Bangor - the plan appeared to backfire but the quick thinking Thomas took remedial action.

My criticism of Walsh is the exaggerated manner of his hold up tactics on Gwanako as opposed to be critical of hold up tactics in general. Intersting to note that Gwanako's previous runs had seen him ridden much closer to the pace.

I dont think Walsh was riding to orders because Nicholls has publicly stated he likes his horses ridden near to the pace.

Anyway, looks like Nicholls told him to sort it out in no uncertain terms today, with three front running performances of note.

Oh and Gus, I presume you noted yet another Johnston trained "hotpot" go under at Lingfield today. The one all weather track where it is high on impossible to make all, and what did Fairley do??? Now that WAS riding to orders.

Back