Washing Machine Disaster !

cricketfan

At the Start
I've just dyed a load of good clothes shades of pink and purple by putting a new, cheap red t-shirt in the wash with them. Any ideas on how to reverse the process?

Thanks in advance

Good question, which I might piggyback...

Last year in the US I bought a not-so-cheap polo shirt (reduced from $45 to $10) in Macy's in NY. I wore it for the first time last week - one of those days when it hit 28C and I was running about daft in a place with no air-con, sweating like a pig.

When I went to the cludge, I notice the red dye had run into my underwear, making them a lovely shade of girlie pink. I don't want to wash the underwear with other stuff in case the dye runs again and I'd like to get the pinkness out of the underwear before I sport them again. I too would appreciate any ideas.

There are stain removers on the market - look in laundry isle at supermarket (I'm sure there has been one that advertises it removes "red runs" - otherwise try rewashing them with distillled white vinegar in the cycle (no detergent) or just soaking in dilute bleach then rewash.

Right..... After doing what every man of my age & marital status would do (ring their Mum) I made sure said clothes didn't get dry & was advised to purchase some kind of stain-away solution to wash them in. Currently washing with fingers crossed !

No whites in there but plenty of beiges, socks and otherwise coloured clothes with white bits.

The cheap t-shirt only made it in because I mistook it at a glance for a British Lions top..... :-(

Back