Watering of Courses

EC1

On a break
this is an article by Hugh Taylor from ATR site..hope its ok to post here..he does post I think on here

interesting article and a subject we had many a discussion about last year..particularly that Ascot meeting

Hugh Taylor writes,

The big betting race of the day takes place at Newmarket, in the shape of the Coral.co.uk Sprint Handicap, and there are two or three runners in that race that interest me, but unfortunately my advice is to leave Newmarket alone from a betting point of view. With the stalls back on the stands side, and rain forecast, it's anybody's guess as to whether we will see the same degree of stands-side bias that we saw on day two of the Guineas meeting; most serious punters nowadays are only too aware that draw biases are no longer guaranteed to be replicated from one meeting to another, and unfortunately my plea for tracks to try and give us some indicator of where the best ground may be by giving going stick readings across the track, rather than just one "master reading", has largely fallen on deaf ears. I have had just four replies to my email to clerks, three of which were from the clerks at Chester, Wolverhampton and Pontefract, which don't have straight tracks, where my suggestion wouldn't apply, and the lack of an overall response to what I thought was a positive request really does leave me shaking my head.

On the positive side, I did have a very helpful email from Andrew Cooper, clerk at Sandown and Epsom, who had already shown his initiative last year when producing (without any prompting from me!) stick readings for the stands side as well as the far side at Epsom. I spoke to Andrew at Sandown on Thursday evening, and he has promised to provide stick readings on both sides of the track for the Derby meeting next week (TurfTrax themselves provide the readings for the big meetings), and if the case arises where there is overnight rain at Sandown he has said he'll try and provide readings for the "under the hedge" stands side at Sandown as well. I'm also fairly confident that Chris Stickels will again provide stick readings for the far side, middle and stands side at Royal Ascot, as he has done since last year's controversial Royal meeting. Sadly, it doesn't seem many other clerks are keen to be on board; I don't know why this should be, but there does seem to be a feeling that many clerks are very suspicious of the going stick overall as a guide to the going, as it often tells them something different to what their own experience of how the track rides is telling them. This I can understand for sure, but my suggestion for stick readings across the track is comparing like with like, not two differing methods of assessment; I can understand that it must be frustrating when the stick readings are not consistent with how the track is going to ride, but what I am asking is for stick readings to be compared to each other, across the track. This, to me, could turn out to be the most helpful long-term use of the going stick.

Perhaps clerks are afraid of the stick readings revealing a track bias, and that they will be considered to have done a poor job if they admit there is a favoured part of the track. Let's be in no doubt; track biases are an inevitable part of turf racing, and it doesn't mean the clerk has screwed up if there is a bias. What is wrong, however, is trying to get rid of a bias by watering, and/or without telling the racing and betting public. This is a really important topic - if people in my situation find themselves advising people not to have a bet, and if punters lose confidence in betting on Flat racing, this is long-term going to have an impact on the Levy. Sadly, we still are not receiving enough information; for instance, the BHA website as of 9.15 this morning reveals that Beverley are reporting a going stick reading of "9 at Wednesday at 16.30", with no explanation for the lack of update; given the difficulty in interpreting how the straight at Beverley is going to ride these days, I'm amazed they are not giving racing people and punters more up-to-date information.

I'm not going to try in the least to be an apologist for Clerks, since they're well able to describe their own thoughts on this, should they choose. But as I've detailed on here before, TurfTrax provide every Clerk with an Index of their course, to tell them where to take stick readings, based on known bias spots. When you see it, the course is broken down into grids and the Clerks prong the ground three times in each spot with the TurfTrax going stick. The stick gives them a reading for that spot based on the average of the three prongings. Thus, there can be very different readings around the course, taking in the dips, the rises, the camber, the depth of the soil/turf, etc. The stick then gives the Clerk the overall average for the course after all the readings are made, and that's what racegoers will see as his result.

Clerks take three readings, sometime four. At the 4-day decs stage, the 24 hours stage, and one or even two on the day of racing. However, to arrive at a TurfTrax average, they'd have to spend a good couple of hours (or more, depending on the length of the longest races) pronging and then getting a final reading - they have an awful lot of other things to be arranging as well, so this incessant reading does have to stop some time!

The Key used on the Going Map (issued by TurfTrax) is:

Light Blue: 13+ on the reader: HARD
Bright Blue: 12 - FIRM
Greeny-blue: 10 - GOOD to FIRM
Light Green: GOOD
Green: GOOD to SOFT
Yellow: SOFT
Light brown: HEAVY

The TurfTrax Going Index Guide is:

13.0 - 15.0 - HARD
11.0 - 12.9 - FIRM
9.0 - 10.9 - GOOD to FIRM
7.0 - 8.9 - GOOD
5.0 - 6.9 - GOOD to SOFT
3.0 - 4.9 - SOFT
1.0 - 2.9 - HEAVY

(I've cribbed these off a little flyer given to tours of the course by Plumpton's Clerk, Mark Cornford.)

As you can see, there is a range, and it looks quite tight to me. Many Clerks don't trust the TurfTrax sticks, to be honest, which is why it may be hard for them to publicly say so, as they've been forced into using them by the BHA, instead of what most trainers still use when walking the courses - a blunt-tipped walking stick. Jockeys walk the courses and put their heels in and come back with some ideas sometimes rather different to the Clerks - but the Clerks are forced to use the 'official' stick now and have to report its reading, rather than what might be their own call on it.

So what would be the point of a Clerk saying to a query, "Well, my TurfTrax stick tells me it's 4.9, but my gut feeling is it's actually more like a 5.5"? How helpful is it to him to defend the use of the stick against his own - quite possibly better - judgment? After all, he's the guy who knows his soil, who's cut the length of cover, who knows where the beetles have had a naughty nibble or where there are still patches of sandfill in old divots. He looks at his ground every day, 365 days a year, but he has to go by a stick which often he doesn't feel gives him what he thinks is a true result.

And thank goodness for wooden walking sticks and knowing one's ground - the Good, GF in places at Fontwell hasn't been obtained due to TurfTrax's item: RP says "going stick not working"!

main issue for me is watering to remove biases...I brought this up last year but it were like I were from another planet..it doesn't happen I were told on here..someone on another forum..you know who you are...where HT's post now also sits on a thread...said ..I was talking total nonsense..he'll be crawling up HT's ass I suppose now agreeing with him:)

we had jockeys splatterd in mud one one side of the course at Ascot and dry as a bone on tother side..Group class horses running below par standside and being beaten by handicappers far side..this was after the exact opposite bias was noticed earlier in meeting...but we were told it hadn't been an attempt to even up a supposed bias..really?

now that someone like HT comes out with it,,people believe its happening

like i said last year..that CLERKWATCH thread on betfair has been going for ages and has highlighted many flaws in the going descriptions..and highlighted courses watering to remove biases..Folkestone was a classic last year..just two days after Ascot debacle.

Newmarket today was a complete lottery..it was clear the standside was faster..but some of the daft jocks still moved away to the middle in some races..wtf?

rain was forecast a few days ago..for most of us..why water Newmarket?

Back