Wednesday 13th September 2023

yorick

Conditional
Hardly right, is it, having a strong fancy midweek?

Still, I do feel I should be backing:

Immelmann - 3.40 Tramore 7/2 Win

I noted this one in July when it made late headway over 2m at the Curragh. He looked a sure-fire future winner to me and I subsequently backed him on his next at Galway (last time out). How gutted was I to see him finish stone last? It transpires that he was reported as 'coughing' after the race. That was over 2m, like his previous run. One might ask why I'm backing him here, over 12f. Well the race in July was a pretty slowly -run affair: 10s slower than average on good ground.

I've had a look at his breeding and he is a full brother to Iquitos, a German horse who won most of his races over 1m3f- 1m4f so that gives hope that today's drop in distance will be to his advantage.

I was more than a little concerned when I checked jockey O'Sullivan's flat record - zero form 18 but then I checked his NH figures and see that he's ridden 4-10 for Mullins and shows a profit so no worries on that score. The current ground assessment at the course is G/Yielding so that should be fine, too.

I see that he's drifted to 7/2 from last night's 5/2 and that I rather like; it's better, in my opinion, that being backed during the day. I might expect, however, a shortening before the off.

Anyway, that's the bet and I hope for a decent show.

Conversely, I like to see price strengthening overnight. On the (probably false) assumption that the earlier the price change the closer to the connections view it is ;).

Last edited:
I like to see a horse shorten just before the off.

My aversion to the horse backed during the day comes from many, many bitter experiences in the past.

Back