Wednesday 27th December 2023

yorick

Conditional
A fiendishly difficult day for backing, it's true.

Centre stage will be he Welsh National at Chepstow and what a minefield this looks..

The be honest there only one horse that must be backed here, for me, but you'll understand that although this is a choice with provisos attached, I must back him here after I've followed him since last season.

Autonomous Cloud - Chepstow 2.50 9/2 7 places (Skybet) Ew

As mentioned above, I've followed this fellow with satisfaction since last term. Here's a history of my notes since then:

Autonomous Cloud

19/10/22 Worcs 2m 7f Chase Gd

A desperately slow affair, this. AC looks for all the world a chaser and this was his first race in a h/cap of any sort, having had three novice runs over hurdles.
Who knows what his mark will end up at but he’s a strapping gelding and he maybe didn’t want his h/cap mark spoilt for this pot.
Jumped really well and looks a natural chaser, as he might, given his breeding.
I’m looking forward to seeing where they go with this one.

"18/03/23 Utoxeter 3m Novices' Handicap Chase (Class 2) (5yo+) Soft[/B]

Jumped well and just held on here to confirm promise off 125. Won 15/2

26/11/23 Uttoxeter (Class 3) (4yo+) 3m Heavy 16 fences 2 omitted

Jumped very well, again, off 130, and was travelling well enough when left the race after two fell. Will go up but not by much, given the circumstances.
A mark of 136 would put him into the Welsh National on around 11st, lovely fighting weight. He’s proven on heavy and he’s certainly entered up.
Looking further ahead, the Midlands National in March would be a possible, too, having won twice over the course." Won 2/1

To be honest, I feel that his price for this is just scandalous, given the size of field and how competitive it is. Even so, I just cannot see me not backing the horse today, can you?

When studying the race over the last week, I'd narrowed it down to two: AC and Venetia's Fontaine Collonges. (what a bet this was, winning the Roland Meyrick yesterday.) Strange that she swerved this race when her horse had such a good chance. Williams' has two left in the race: Chambard and Didero Vallis. Bothof these look completely exposed, to me and I resist the temptation to include them in my Tricast.

No, for fun, I shall pick two more who I feel have lively chances and I shall do a combination tricast and see how we go.

Although, folowibvg just one form line can prove costly, if I fancy AC, then I must also have ultimate respect for both Super Survivor and Iron Bridge. The latter, in particular looks very good value on his second to AC at Uttoxeter last March, when he just failed to get up, giving AC 12Lbs. He reopposes today 4Lbs better off and it looks like he's been aimed at this by the O'neills.

If I was to pick one away from the AC form line, it would be Wayfinder, a three-times course winner and who produced a very good run behind The Whacker Clan at Cheltenham last term.

Back