Wednesday 29th May 2024

yorick

Conditional
So, three horses mooted yesterday with varying outcomes.

Firstly, Juryman broke from the stalls alright and didn’t lose ground at the start. This gave me confidence as I saw he was going ok in midfield. At the 2f pole I was feeling reasonably optimistic as I waited for Joanna to ask for the effort. Well, I’m afraid two things happened. There was a very weak effort from the jockey to exert any kind of pressure on the horse; it looked like she wasn’t that bothered to be honest. Then , it could be that he didn't stay the mile. Breeding certainly suggests that a mile should be no problem. I’d like to see a stronger jockey up, though; I’m afraid Miss Mason left a lot to be desired with her riding. So, I shan’t give up on Juryman for it seems that the starter motor has been fixed (for the time being).

I’m afraid the red light was flashing before the off for Rogue Raider evidenced by the super-drift in the market and right at the off it seemed that he’d been stricken with a sleeping dart or something, being several lengths adrift after only a furlong. I suspect that the soft ground was just totally what he didn’t want. So, it gives me a little more insight into the lightly-raced colt and I shall look forward to him turning out again when the ground is right. The price will reflect yesterday’s dismal show, no doubt.

It was pleasant to be rewarded by my strongest horse of the day in Angel Of The Bay. That was a nice run at 25/1, wasn’t it, showing that he handles soft ground, as suspected. As for his trip: with Camelot on the dam’s side, we might hope for a mile but we’ll have to wait and see how he’s entered. I certainly wouldn’t be phased if they went the mile.

It’s a Woeful Wednesday, as far as I’m concerned: low quality with nothing of note running for me.

Back