Wednesday 5th April 2023

yorick

Conditional
How difficult is it to manage when a new flat season comes around?

Horses we've noted from the previous term are out for their seasonal debuts and we have that nagging question of what we do with them. Tomorrow sets me up with that very quandary and I write this merely to share my thoughts.

Storm Fox, who goes in the 1.30 Nottingham, provides me with a puzzle but, to be honest, I feel that his maiden will really be the preamble to his handicap future in the near term. If I were connected to the horse, I'd be looking for a handicap mark to go to war with and that mark will be set by his run here. Tempting as it may be to go in with the full smear tomorrow, I shall have the merest of tickles on the filly and be keeping a very close eye on how they run her. I believe that the soft ground will not be in her favour and I wonder whether this may just be a prep with the future in mind for when the better ground arrives. The Dante meeting might beckon, possibly. After all, she acquitted herself well on her run at the course last season so why not?

The other which catches the eye is Zephron in the 4.50 Curragh.

The mark has dropped to a tasty 68 and, judging by the gelding's runs over the course last term, I'm thinking he may be worth an Ew bet. He's a horse who gets behind before making late headway so is always prone to traffic issues. That notwithstanding, I'm liking the jockey booking here and will have a little on Ew.

Most of all, my eyes will be peeled with the future in mind.

Back