Wednesday Racing/Listowel Kerry National

Kauto Abu

At the Start
Any thoughts on this. Northern Alliance or Green Mile will probably go off favourite. Word from my local stable is that Willie Austin's Conem is fancied to run a big race if he gets in.

A race I find hard to get too excited about....just the time of year it is still too early to look at these jumpers. Would have thought Green Mile will struggle to get in off third reserve.

Competitive renewal as ever.

Royal County Star is the type of horse you could follow over a cliff in these type of races, but a sharp 3 miles on decent ground looks pretty much ideal for him. Not harshly treated on the pick of his form and was running a big race (tough to know would he have won) in this a couple of years back when coming down two out.

Ballycullen Boy appeals as potentially well in, given that he ran a mighty race in this a couple of years ago off a pound higher rating than he has today. Has shown very little since, but if he can manage to run up to 2007 form he might have a squeak.

Wednesday Racing

Some interesting races today.

A nice fillies listed race at Yarmouth. I'm not convinced by either of Splashdown and Flame of Gibraltar, and think Sweet Lily and Mookada could finish in the frame. The former probably has the best form in the field, but has yet to show it this year. Channon's are so in and out and current odds make plenty of appeal in the hope she bounces back to form. Mookada was a horse I really like for the Oaks at the start of the year, and she shouldn't be given up on yet. Reported to have a breating problem last time, she should go much better here

Everyone's favourite rogue Bankable runs in a listed race at Sandown, and is currently 8/13, which makes little appeal considering his ability to get himself beat. I'm a big fan of Laa Rayb, Zulu Chief showed plenty of potential last year and I wouldn't be surprised if Cadre featured at 20/1. Favourite there to be taken on.

The 2.55 at Sandown is a potentially very interesting maiden, with a half brother to Red Bloom and a full brother to Eastern Anthem, who would be hard to oppose given the form of Godolphin's 2 year olds, and he is one of the better bred.

Godolphin run 2 in the fillies maiden at Beverley, and I prefer Najura, who looked very interesting running on in her debut at Kempton beyond 2 good fillies, and is worth another chance at 8/1 after a disappointing run last time.

Dear Forumites

I have a problem that I hope you can help me with. I was really taken with the performance of a horse called Silent Act last time. She was held up in a steadily-run race but shaped really well to run on strongly and to be nearest at the finish, coming from much further back than the other horses in the finish. She's a grand, looking type, sure to be suited by the step up in trip, and has a US pedigree which suggests she'll be at least as good on an artificial surface as turf.

The problem is, she is trained by Amanda Perratt, what should I do? I know the sensible thing would to be buy the horse and send it to a good trainer but that really isn't an option on this occasion. Any assistance would be gratefully received.

I don't see why merging interesting and good quality flat racing, with a bunch of plodders runnning around Kerry is a good thing, but maybe that's me... :confused: :)

Fixed (by Gareth!).

edit: as far as I'm aware, the plodding jumpers are actually considered to comprise part of 'Wednesday's racing', Hamm! :p

Last edited:
I've taken on Laa Rayb today in the 4.05 at Sandown. He does not look to have conditions in his favour today and I'm not a fan of his anyway so I laid a good few quid at shorter prices about him early doors in an attempt to take him on with the rest. Bankable looks to have most things in his favour whilst some of the others are still open to improvement and i've managed to take a decent position on this..

Quite sweet on Von Jawlensky at 5's in the next at Listowel.

I'm more than willing to take on The Bull Hayes over a fairly sharp 1m4f on drying ground. Both of his standout pieces of form (Gallinule third and Galway second to Aliyfa) have come in conditions that have placed far more emphasis on stamina and I reckon he looks vulnerable to something with a bit more pace today.

I'm usually wary of horses that have performed as pacemakers as recently as Von Jawlensky, but his overall profile is progressive and he remains unexposed over 1m4f (with his second to Alaivan on his only run over the trip hinting that he remains a progressive horse). The Bolger horse looks a bit of a rogue to me, Ghimaar probably requires a greater test of stamina and the Oxx filly is reported to be best with a fair deal of cut in the ground.

Last edited:
Good call TS. Was away from PC and had no idea he'd be as big as 5s. Nice price regardless of outcome.

Back