Weight-for-age question

Relkeel

At the Start
At this time of year, there is no WFA allowance for 4-y-o's in a 2m hurdle, but there is 8lbs allowance for them in a 2m chase.

For example, if today's 3.40 at Fontwell was a handicap hurdle, Alecia (rated 95) would have to give Action Spirit (rated 85) 10lbs. As it is a chase, the former only gives the latter 2lbs.

So, the question is: How is it fair that the 3 4-y-o's in this particular race are effectively 8lbs well-in?

Why is it assumed that a 4-y-o would be 8lbs less effective over fences than hurdles?

Am I missing something?

(I realise that is 3 questions, but such is the complex nature of this issue).

Because a 4yo hurdler at present could be second season and have experience, having raced last season in juvenile hurdles, over fences it would have not been able to race last season.

Weight for age is about bringing horses together in terms of experience.

Yes but surely the nub of Flames answer lies in the word "could". It can't be too difficult to establish which are and which ones aren't and frame the allowances accoordingly?

I'd say it's about bringing horses together in terms of maturity rather than experience. The two are slightly different. Hence why the 4/5-y-o allowance has reduced over the last couple of years, the 4-y-o's coming over from France have proved all the more mature than their allowance allowed (sorry!) for.

The difference between the two codes surely also reflects the different type of horse involved?

Chasing takes more strength and substance than hurdling, and chasers are often purpose bred and late maturing - often not running until 4. Many hurdlers now come off the flat and are fully mature at the end of their 4 yr old season

Back