Well Chief Out For Season

Absolutely gutted woz a banker for cheltenham i believe. opens the way for ustedes to win it again i believe now.

he just seems a really fragile horse. it is a shame but wish him a gd recovery and roll along next season. he will come back better than ever.

Originally posted by Justin Redman@Dec 2 2007, 05:37 PM
roll along next season. he will come back better than ever.
Do you really think so :rolleyes:

He'll be 10 next year, and that's provide he comes back. At this stage I'd be more inclined to think we might very well have seen the last of him I'm afraid

I really hope not because i feel that if he woz to be retired then he wouldn't win the champion chase which is a prize he really deserved to win so fingers crossed he will be back next season

How can anyone advocate bringing back a [will be] nine year old to "win a Champion Chase" after it's broken down twice? Let's face it, the horse hardly ran last year and had so long off in the first place as connections knew they were on borrowed time. They have to retire him, he owes them nothing.

i was very sceptical bout them bringing him back last season. i jst felt that the owners felt it mite be their last chance with the horse to win a champion chase and it was a risk coz he then of course fell. i think we will all just have to wait and see really won't we?

Have you misunderstood me? I didn't question bringing him back last season, I questioned your assertion that they should bring him back after this injury. Why? What does he owe them? Or does he deserve to die on a racecourse having broken down irreparably?

Alrite mate calm down its just an opinion thats all. all i'm sayin is at the end of the day it is up to the owner if they wanna bring him back to racing isn't it? so they are not gonna bother listenin to mine or your opinions on it. if he does come back that would b great but at the same time if he gets retired then we will remember him as a wonderful racehorse.

I'm quite calm my dear!!! :D

I hope connections do retire the horse and to be fair, I think they probably will - if not now maybe closer to the time they may be thinking of bringing him back. Once a horse has broken down twice it is telling you it can't physically cope with racing. The initial breakdown was, I am led to believe, quite a bit more serious than what was reported in the press.

to be honest with u it would be fair to the horse and then we can remember the good times of well chief, moscow flyer and azertyuiop racin against each other with hopefully all 3 of the horses in happy retirement.

You can sometimes bring one back once, but to bring it back twice :eek: from what appears to be a similar if not identical injury. Not a snow ball in hells chance. He's 8 at the moment, will be 9 by the time the 2008 Champion is run, which means he'll be 10 by the time he'll get his earliest chance again in 2009. He's gone well FTO before and his Arkle win came on the back of just one low key prep run at Taunton, so it suggests he doesn't necessarily need to be racing regularly to be primed, but I for one just can't see it, and would be pretty confident we've seen the last of him and he'll be retired. It's not as if DJ needs the money and will flog the horse until he drops in an attempt to squeeze every last shekel out of it either.

I too have no problem with them trying last year. He went into the race with the best form on display and was entitled to take his chance on what they must have suspected was a time expiry career by then before an lalmost inevitable re-occurence surfaced. They gave the horse a chance when he appeared up to the task, and he didn't take it.

The only thing I would say about bringing him back is that if this is not a serious injury then he is low mileage for a 10 year old.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiments expressed.

Originally posted by betsmate@Dec 2 2007, 07:38 PM
The only thing I would say about bringing him back is that if this is not a serious injury then he is low mileage for a 10 year old.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiments expressed.
That's the only hope really to cling onto that he will have low mileage for a 10yo but really the chance's are very slim that we'll see him as a Champion Chase contender again. It looks like he's going to go down as one of the best, if not the best 2m chaser never to win the Champion Chase.

I'm really gutted.... :(

Eh?! I've said I reckon they will retire the horse - be fair, harry! I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

In all fairness, can anyone seriously make a decent case to return the horse to training? Would you rather the horse was shot oncourse after breaking down severely? Although, as I have said, I don't think connections will go down that route, I think they probably will retire him.

I know I was trying to wind you up. Didn't work
Love you even more now :luv:

Think we've seen the end of him and probably the end of DJ and Pipe soon to follow

Originally posted by harry@Dec 2 2007, 11:15 PM
I know I was trying to wind you up. Didn't work
Love you even more now :luv:

Think we've seen the end of him and probably the end of DJ and Pipe soon to follow
I fear that may be the straw that breaks the camels' back with DJ and Pipe.

Nicholls appears to have so much firepower, with owners such as Paul Barber, Harry Findlay, Robert Ogden, Stewart Family, Terry Warner, Paul Green, John Hales, Jim Lewis and now DJ! Do any of the rest of these owners have horses with David Pipe?

Can't think of any standard bearer now at Pond House, especially for the big staying races, shame because David is a likeable chap....

Back