Well Chief retired

Classy two-mile chaser Well Chief has been retired at the age of 11 following a disappointing run at the Cheltenham Festival.
The David Pipe-trained gelding, owned by David Johnson, overcame well-documented leg problems which kept him off the track for long periods.
Winner of the Arkle Trophy in 2004, Well Chief was second in the Queen Mother Champion Chase in both 2005 and 2009.
He won 11 of his 29 starts and amassed £631,924 in prize-money.
His final success came at Cheltenham in November, when he had Master Minded back in third place, but he could only finish seventh to Big Zeb in last month's Champion Chase.
"It is a great shame that Chiefy never won a Champion Chase," the trainer told www.davidpipe.com.
"But, despite the sleepless nights and worry, it has been a privilege to train him - I don't think I will ever train a horse with more ability.
"I am sure that he will enjoy a long and happy retirement, he certainly deserves it."

Yes, great news, shouldnt really have run at Cheltenham, but great to know he retired in one piece, and I too wish him a long and happy retirement

It's finally the end of that fantastic two mile era.

He was a horse I didn't totally take to in the early days due to being a huge Moscow fan but later on I 'fell in love' with him and he made me appreciate just how good those days were with the likes of himself, Moscow and Azerty.
Delighted he has retired in one piece and that he can now look forwards to a deserved retirement.
Have a ball lazing away the days old fella. :)

Real shame he never won the Champion after Moscow - really deserved to land one. A great great two miler.

RUK did a lovely replay of all his wins right from his hurdles days to his most recent win at Cheltenham. A truely superb racehorse.

Sad to see him go but pleased he is sound. Hope he enjoys a long and happy retirement. One of my all-time favourites.

Was never a big fan of Well Chief but watching tribute to him on RUK today he has seen off some very good horses.

Great to see him retire in one piece and I have been lucky enough to see many of his finest performances in the flesh at Cheltenham.

It is difficult, considering the winner , not to feel that had he stood up he would have won in 2007.

Back