What A Friend

Not heard or read anything but seem to remember Nicholls say after his last run that he is best fresh which might explain it.

6yos struggle badly in the RSA (and the 5yos now only have a 2lb rather than 10lb allowance) - young horses have trouble getting this. But 7 and 8yos have an excellent record, so Ruby was surely always going to choose Cooldine.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Sir Alex leading him into the winners enclosure:p Am waiting for the abuse..............:lol:

Well, it would be a surprise as he would therefore not be manager of Man United anymore - he won't be at Cheltenham as they play Inter that night in the CL return match

Absolutely. What a shame he won't be there for the big day, he was last year when What A Friend ran on the Friday (can't remember which race), but Ged will be there to represent both of them, and no doubt Sir Alex will be watching from wherever he is at the time.

Don't think we can read too match into ruby's choice, he'd never sat on what a friend over fences so it was probably an easy one to give up considering he's going to have to try and keep both mullins and nicholls happy through the festival

Yes, Ruby makes all his choices based on stats.

I take your point David, but he won't be ignorant of the fact that 7yos have a much better record. If the choice was close such stats could easily be the deciding factor. If it was a straighforward choice then even better for Cooldine's chances.

Either way, on this occasion the jockey's choice looks to be a strong pointer, as it is also aligned with the realities of the race.

Last edited:
Ruby said he choose Cooldine because he knows him better, which is fair enough.

I found it most encouraging that Mullins was happy to take Cooldine to Leopardstown so soon after his hard race at the course a couple of weeks back. This horse (as he did last year) relishes racing and takes it well.

Ruby said he choose Cooldine because he knows him better, which is fair enough.

I found it most encouraging that Mullins was happy to take Cooldine to Leopardstown so soon after his hard race at the course a couple of weeks back. This horse (as he did last year) relishes racing and takes it well.

I'm quite keen on him too. And Ruby choosing him hasn't put me off :)

Back