What Are You Moaning About

simmo

Senior Jockey
A thread for general moans and assorted grumpiness.

Today's moan - the way that people, mostly from England and America, mistake the words English and British as meaning the same thing.

Particularly annoying in the context of wars in which Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland played their part to the same extent as England, but I also heard Willie Mullins saying he was going for the English trainers championship just days before running several at Ayr in his bid.

Pure and simple mixture of disdain and ignorance.

I don't get too het up about it myself because I know I'm guilty of referring to Canadians as 'Americans' (a long time ago but I was fair put in my place by the offended) and antipodeans as 'Australian' (ditto).

I don't mind too much when foreigners do it because they really don't know the history or geography and have probably been taught by their forebears that our islands are English, because that's the language we speak (unless you come from Easterhouse or Govan or Cumnock).

Motorists who, seeing there is a queue, speed to the front of the queue then merge in causing the queue to come to a halt.

Do they do the same thing in supermarkets and other queuing situations? Or are they just bellends?

I think that’s what you’re meant to do if there are two lanes open isn’t it? ( I don’t do it, but I’m sure I remember me being in the wrong about it 😂)

I think that’s what you’re meant to do if there are two lanes open isn’t it? ( I don’t do it, but I’m sure I remember me being in the wrong about it 😂)
I didnt actually mean approaching roadworks where you're supposed to merge like a zip

I was thinking of queues approaching off slips.

Motorists who, seeing there is a queue, speed to the front of the queue then merge in causing the queue to come to a halt.

Do they do the same thing in supermarkets and other queuing situations? Or are they just bellends?
As bad as all that is it's better than trying to trust the trains. My last three driving jobs Chorley to Telford, Bolton to Penrith and yesterday Lytham to Holmes Chapel in Cheshire I've had trains cancelled on me because of lack of train crew. It's infuriating. Monday I'm going from Liverpool to Northampton and I have to factor in probably cancellations to my timings. The whole industry needs re-nationalising.

Bloody COOKIES! :mad:(n):devilish:😬🤢

My God! Every website they ask: "Accept cookies?". and then "Adjust preferences". Then, when you do, they say "save preferences", which we do, only to find the next time you go to that site, they haven't saved at all! Grrr!

Why on earth don't they turn it round and ask, instead, if you want cookies. A little button to click 'yes or no' and all done. With some sites, if I don't want to accept any cookies whatsoever, I have to go through every single option and unclick them.

The other thing is pop - ups.

These people have such a nerve. All I have to do is click on a site to look at, say, a pair of trousers and from then on all I get is pop-ups: trousers, trousers, trousers. Can you imagine just looking at a pair of trousers on the rail in a shop. You look, you feel and then decide that you'll think about it. Can you imagine coming home a week later and finding the shop assistant in your kitchen. "I hope you don't mind, only I saw you were looking for trousers so I thought I'd bring some round for you to see". You fly into a rage and kick them out: how dare they. Apparently, online it's different; they just barge their way into your life with pop-ups all over the place and that's considered ok?

Before anyone mentions it, I have installed a pop-up blocker but it's still a gripe anyway. the arrogance of commerce is simply unbelievable.

No, just Audi drivers lol.

Audi drivers, yes (and I speak as one who drove Audis for about 8 years), but also BMW drivers and those big fvckers the size of tanks whose drivers seem to think the size of their car endows them with some superior level of importance.

Probably got dicks the size of warts.

Audi drivers used to be ok until they stopped buying as many BMWs and bought Audi's instead. Coincided with a massive rise in fuckwadery on the roads.

Yes but what about cookies? Or is it just me?

It's better than not being able to refuse or manage them.

I recall when the FE college where I worked in the 1990s decided to invest heavily in computer technology. For the first while - months, if memory serves - a cookie pop-up box would repeatedly - every second or two - appear slap bang in the middle of the screen. To say it pissed me off would be seriously understating things. The technicians and IT guys seemed clueless about how to get rid of them but they eventually did.

I find most of the sites I visit simply give me the option of refusing non-essential cookies so one click usually does it.

Hiya Des.

I wonder why they don't remember from the last time you saved your preferences. It's not beyond their wit, surely. And that makes me mistrust the motives of the rules of commerce. It's not an accident that we get hounded, is it. I know they've got to earn a living but just get out of my face is my take on it. Am I alone?

I'm maybe just inured to it.

It's kind of like 'it comes with the territory' of visiting a website.

If I let that kind of thing get to me I'd already be in a padded cell.

The A417 (or A419) from Swindon to Gloucester eventually comes to the end of dual carriageway and at busy times there is a big queue and traffic decide to go down the outside and cut in to the frustration of all that are queuing.as a typical lorry driver I would move across and block them.

Cookies.i don't know why they need them.i just accept.

I get annoyed after I've bought something from amazon they then send me suggestions for what I've just bought.

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg......?I will let you know;)

Personally I wasn't terribly bothered by cookies in the first place so the new rules meaning they have to give you the choice is the bit that really annoys me.

I did a horse called Definite Dream just now at Worcester in the 4.00

I thought he was coming to win the race. Unfortunately Dan Skelton's horse which was the Fav, just fell directly in front of my horse, which cost mine the victory I reckon.

Nevermind. I could have done with that winner. Definite Dream stayed on his feet and carried on, which was very brave after what happend.

Back