What sort of punter are you ?

Quixall Crossett

Amateur Rider
What floats your boat ?
I do like a bit of craic on a forum and its nice to know how we all work.
I was thinking about this last night after the second race at Sedgefield and i thought i would like to hear peoples preferences and share them round. I'll tell you exactly what i mean.
My plan was to study four or five races at Sedgefield but by the time i had finished the second of them, i thought i had a decent chance of making some money by backing Ashington. As it turned out it was a very small profit but i'll take that any day of the week.
But the first race i did was the 5.48 race, the 2m 1f chase. I narrowed it down to Tropical Talent and Augharue.and as it turned out, they finished first and second. But if i had been forced to have a bet in the race, i would have backed the second. For starters, i dont usually touch anything under 8/1 and nearly every one of my bets is each way. The second was available at 16/1 at one stage and ended up 10's. But thats the one i would have been on and i would have missed the winner. I know its form figures of PFP5P would have put nearly every punter off but they are the sort of horses i look more closely at. Prior to those runs, he did have some half decent bits of form a) on the ground, b) at the track, and c) off higher marks. Plus the stable are not averse to having a touch now and again and it was yet another pointer towards the horse.
So i would have missed the winner but would have ended up nicking a few quid from the place.

Yes, i know we all know the result now. But are you the type of punter who would have plumped straight for Tropical Talent ? Or are you the type who gets a kick out of finding something like Augharue ?

Have a good day all.

I've become much more selective down the years, probably mainly because I came to the realisation that life is too short to be spending most of my non-working time studying form. Being retired now I value my time for other things like being able to jump on the bus and get to places like Oban and Aberdeen for free, or bugger off to Spain for a month at a time.

I now generally limit myself to the more valuable races because whatever I end up betting is more likely to be trying. I like to calculate time ratings for juveniles but tend not to bet in such races outside of royal Ascot and the other bigger 2yo races, unless I come across an unusually big figure for the time of year.

I don't usually bet 3yos before the Derby other than maybe the Dante. Occasionally, like the juveniles, I come across a good thing, eg Ramruma in the Oaks Trial a number of years back but I no longer go looking for them.

It's mainly the heritage handicaps and G1/2s. G3s/Listed are dodgy unless the money is bigger than average.

Fillies & Mares' races are no-go areas outside the G1s and even some of them are avoided.

Broadly similar over the jumps.

And obviously I really enjoy trying to sniff out some longshot value bets.

I bet on anything, no rules other than the price, but I guess you all know that by now.

I've become much more selective down the years, probably mainly because I came to the realisation that life is too short to be spending most of my non-working time studying form. Being retired now I value my time for other things like being able to jump on the bus and get to places like Oban and Aberdeen for free, or bugger off to Spain for a month at a time.

I now generally limit myself to the more valuable races because whatever I end up betting is more likely to be trying. I like to calculate time ratings for juveniles but tend not to bet in such races outside of royal Ascot and the other bigger 2yo races, unless I come across an unusually big figure for the time of year.

I don't usually bet 3yos before the Derby other than maybe the Dante. Occasionally, like the juveniles, I come across a good thing, eg Ramruma in the Oaks Trial a number of years back but I no longer go looking for them.

It's mainly the heritage handicaps and G1/2s. G3s/Listed are dodgy unless the money is bigger than average.

Fillies & Mares' races are no-go areas outside the G1s and even some of them are avoided.

Broadly similar over the jumps.

And obviously I really enjoy trying to sniff out some longshot value bets.
Excellent stuff DO and thanks.
Your post highlights just how different we can all be even though we are trying to achieve the same goal, i.e. taking money off the fraudsters.
I dont bet on the flat. When i did, i never touched two year olds and i never bothered with three year olds until about September time. I didnt bet in maidens, claimers or sellers and i didnt bet on any race of less than ten furlongs. Similar to the jumps, my forte was low grade handicaps and any race of 12f, 14f or two miles were my thing. Plus i used to love the Pontefract marathons. I never touched Chester or Brighton and wasnt really fussed on Epsom and very, very rarely bothered there.
I have absolutely no interest in speed figures, sectionals or stride stuff.
And over jumps, i never bother with novice races, sellers or claimers and i am a bit wary of looking at races when a certain trainer or two have one entered. (I wont name them here ) Just like some people steered clear when dear old Barney Curley had one running.

Have a good day.

There is the odd pattern I like, such as “debut handicap, down in class, up in distance”, but I mostly wear my eyes out watching replays trying to spot those ready to rock. Favour the jumps, firstly because I like it and because friends stay with me longer and because good jumpers and slick hurdlers have a big advantage (as is being shown by the latest time over the fence analysis) and there is more time to see what’s occuring. Use the Stewards Reports quite a lot on the flat to supplement what my eyes think they have seen to pick up unlucky runners.

Pure "tommy guesser" here, the bigger the field the bigger the guess but seriously I prefer the flat and mainly big field handicaps.

One who will aftertime about winners he backed 39 years ago.

Was at Newmarket in 1985 and had Slip Anchor clocking a better time in the 1m2f then Heathorn Stakes than Oh So Sharp did in the 1,000 Guineas the same day.

Bet him at 20/1 for The Derby on the rails with Heathorns on the spot, found out I could have had 33/1 with Mecca (doh!) upon my return to London and going into a shop outside Farringdon station, but at least won my ante-post stake back (and then some) when he bolted in this very day at "Leafy" Lingfield Park.

Enjoy:

There is the odd pattern I like, such as “debut handicap, down in class, up in distance”, but I mostly wear my eyes out watching replays trying to spot those ready to rock. Favour the jumps, firstly because I like it and because friends stay with me longer and because good jumpers and slick hurdlers have a big advantage (as is being shown by the latest time over the fence analysis) and there is more time to see what’s occuring. Use the Stewards Reports quite a lot on the flat to supplement what my eyes think they have seen to pick up unlucky runners.
Thanks barjon, good stuff.
Watching replays is compulsory for me and as boring as it might sound to some, i read thru every days stewards reports. Not so much for what they spotted. More importantly, what passed them by and they completely missed. I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the BHA and all who work for them and i have totally given up on mailing them or ringing them simply because they come across as complete morons and i know i am wasting my time.
I was going to say i will tell you a funny story about them but it isnt really funny. It is downright incompetence. But i'll tell you anyway.

As i said a few days ago, i closely follow the smaller stables. And one that i mentioned was Sue Gardners. A) because they do like a touch and B) Mr Gardner used to bet with us many years ago and he very rarely left it behind.
So i was watching a race one day at Exeter with a horse of theres called Woulduadamandeveit running. And i watched it closely while it jumped out left at nearly every hurdle. But that aside, Lucy Gardner hardly broke sweat riding it and i remember Richard Hoiles was commentating that day and he noted it and said something along the lines of "it is still going well and hasnt been asked for any effort yet" during his commentary. So i watched the replay a few times later in the day and marked it down for a touch one day. But then i spotted what it said in the stewards report and i was flabbergasted. But i kept it to myself for a while and waited for the gamble. And sure enough they went for it..................nearly. It was backed down to favouritism next time out at Uttoxeter but pulled up. Obviously others had spotted but i didnt get involved that day. They waited another nine months before they went for it at Haydock the following January and it was backed down fro, around 16/1 and 20/1 down to 7/2 fav. I had got on at big odds and was hopeful but they then went and pulled it out early afternoon with a "vets certificate" Yeah right !!
I dont know the real reason why it was pulled out but they probably hadnt got all their money on at the price they wanted. It had been pulled out on its previous two supposed starts due to unsuitable ground and travel problems. Yeah right !!
And it has now been off since Feb 2022 and it has had only six starts since Nov 2019. I'm of the opinion we wont be seeing it again.

Now for the "funny" bit. But it isnt really. When i read the stewards report from the Exeter run, it said they had pulled the Gardners in and asked about the run. This is it -

Jumped left throughout, always towards rear (regarding the run, the rider and the trainer were interviewed and shown recordings of the race; the vet reported that a post-race examination of the gelding failed to reveal any abnormalities; jockey said her instructions were to hold the gelding up as he races keenly and she further stated that the gelding hung and jumped badly left handed, which she reported at scales on her return. Because of this she was holding on to her right rein, in an effort to keep the gelding straight and was unable to ride him out. The trainer confirmed the instructions and stated that the gelding has not run right-handed before.)

It is the last bit that made me spit my coffee out and the reason i rang them. "The gelding has not run right handed before" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which the stewards accepted. Now the last time i looked, Ascot was right handed and so was Kempton. It had run behind Epatante at Kempton the month before and it had run behind Didtheyleaveyououto at Ascot the December before.
So, with my stroppy head on, i rang them and asked if they could explain that to me. To cut the story short, their excuse, and these are their very words, was "the stewards cant be expected to look at everything" !!!!!!!
What sort of effing nonsense is that ??
Whats that saying - you had one job to do !
They listened, noted and never said a word about being laughed at. They had the piss taken out of them and i know they didnt even realise it.
I listened to what the bloke on the other end of the phone said to me and i just laughed . And he didnt know what i was laughing at until i told him.

This has dragged on but you get my drift. The BHA. The most incompetent organisation on planet Earth !

I’m like a few of us: more selective, as I get older.

I used to do the silly ew acca thing, where one 4th ruins everything. I think online betting has helped in providing more opportunities ie, the BOG and extra places. Because of that, I prefer to chase smaller wins, with ew doubles and trixies.

I’ve also found that I’m a better punter on the flat, than over the jumps! Especially the big handicaps 5f-7f.

.I was a mad crazy punter but very successful Biggest bets I had in my prime Aristo Treat, Keelby Kavalier, Rage Glen Tepylon, Tarqa, City Entertainer, Cloudwalker, Timmion, Kamal Sadiqui, Brave Fellow all ridden by Tony Charlton all 4 figure bets all won.

Now my bets vary between 1 pound and the odd 4 figures

I would describe myself as AFF MA FUCKUN HEID

I fancied Bopedro to win the Irish Cambridgeshire and in its prep race it was 3/1f and I thought it didn't need a penalty.it got beat and the trainer Jessie Harrington came up with the best excuse I've ever heard.it brushed his head on the side of the stalls and got something in his eye.
Yeah.
Won the Cambridgeshire at 33/1
Happy days.

I much prefer nh to flat racing.
Its where my betting has been more successful though not recently 🤔
I try to look back on old form, such as last winning handicap mark etc.
Sometimes it works Sometimes not.
There are some trainers i avoid mainly the so called top trainers whose horses are often shorter odds than Perhaps they should be.
I tend to look at smaller yards some of which are known to land a touch or two.
It has served me well over the years just not recently.
Must be losing my touch.
Good Luck to all with your bets however you Select them👍

I fancied Bopedro to win the Irish Cambridgeshire and in its prep race it was 3/1f and I thought it didn't need a penalty.it got beat and the trainer Jessie Harrington came up with the best excuse I've ever heard.it brushed his head on the side of the stalls and got something in his eye.
Yeah.
Won the Cambridgeshire at 33/1
Happy days.
:)

Rule number 1 - Never take any notice of what a trainer says !!!
Rule number 2 - If in doubt, refer to rule 1 !!!

Best one I knew was the late Mick Lambert, he was a lovely guy and wanted to be everyone's friend.

It affected his judgement as he trying to help thought every horse he ran would win.

Jockey who many of them would be lost without have forgotten more than most trainers will ever learn.

I mainly stick to low class races and maidens these days. Have had some nice touches on the maidens, especially in Ireland.
Just need to open the paper and my bets jump out at me. No studying required, so I guess I'm not much of a racing fan these days. Used to love the jumps but bet mainly on the flat now. Making a profit at last, albeit a modest one.

I bet mostly in lower class races with runners from the top five trainers at that time.
Rarely venture below first three in the betting and only bet if I consider there is no value.

I bet mostly in lower class races with runners from the top five trainers at that time.
Rarely venture below first three in the betting and only bet if I consider there is no value.
Thanks walsworth and oldtimer. Your posts, like all the others on here, again show that we are all different in our approaches to relieving the fraudsters of their money. We all do what works for us in whatever way that is.
Oldtimer bets in low grade and maidens. I bet in low grade but never touch maidens. But it works for him and long may he continue to win.
Walsworth's bets revolve around the top five trainers at the time and rarely bets outside the front three in the market. I bet mainly on the smaller stables and wont touch anything under 8/1. But again it works for him and again, long may it be successful for him.
Nobody can say they are doing it right and nobody can say they are doing it wrong. Nobody !!!!!!!!

Some people like to bet every day, others just a few times a week. I probably take it to the extreme and can go weeks without having a bet and i honestly cannot remember the last time i went to the races and HAD a bet.
I didnt like anything yesterday, there is nothing for today and nothing for tomorrow although there is one race tomorrow that i will be watching closely and if i get time later i will come on and tell you about it. I am very hopeful that there will be something at Perth on Wednesday and/or Thursday and i will be going thru Wednesdays decs when they are out later.

Each to their own ! :)

Have a good day all.

That race tomorrow.
It is the 3.00 at Southwell and the horse is Jeteye. But let me stress straight away that i have no intention of backing this horse and i am not putting it up as a tip. I have watched this horse closely since it arrived on these shores and i have been counting down the days to the gamble. And they went for it last time out but could only finish second. It opened 33's in a place last time out and went off as the 9/4 fav. It was short of room a couple of times in the latter stages of the race but that said, the winner won by 6L and he may not have won anyway.
It is trained by Sam England who is one of "my" trainers, one who i follow closely and have had plenty of success with over the years.
The horse had finished second to Feronily in a point at Rathcannon albeit beaten 10L but it was its first ever run and it had the rest well beaten off. By the time Jeteye made its debut for Sam at Haydock, Feronily had run three times and had finished second to Ile Atlantique and third to A Dream To Share in Leopardstown bumpers and fourth beaten only 7L by Nemean Lion in Kelso's Premier novice hurdle. So hopes were fairly high that there would be a pay day out of this horse. But knowing how the England's work, plus the fact that there were only five runners and it was a novice hurdle, i didnt get involved. And just as well. Here is the stewards report from the race --

Held up in last, pushed along after 4 out, headway but not fluent 3 out, beaten when hit 2 out, stayed on run-in (jockey said, regarding running and riding, that his instructions had been to drop in and get a lead before commenting that gelding had jumped carefully throughout, took a blow leaving back straight and again halfway up home straight when outpaced before making a significant jumping error at the second last hurdle; jockey added that, despite looking around to see where the remaining runner was near the 1f marker, he at all times had maintained a hands and heels forward drive on gelding who was plugging home at one-pace and gelding's finishing effort had been flattered by the fact the second and third placed horses were tiring on run-in after untidy jumps at the final hurdle and ultimately had paid the price for trying to go with the winner; vet reported that a post-race examination of failed to reveal any abnormalities) (op 15/2)

It had done absolutely nothing in the three races since that Haydock run until it reappeared at Southwell last month. And they went for it.
And now they have stuck it straight into a handicap chase and it runs off a mark of 97. Just as a matter of interest, Feronily, who is now with Emmet Mullins and is owned by JP, won the Champion Novice Chase at the Punchestown festival last year and is currently rated 155.

So my eyes will glued to the betting and then the race itself. But as i said, i have no intention of getting involved.

Back