When 20% off is not 20% off

Cantoris

At the Start
I was watching the races from the Curragh on sat and saw their race titled "20% off online booking at the curragh". Knowing that Grey and myself were heading down to wexford to see the horses and then onto the curragh for the Oaks I thought I'd be smart and buy online. €20 less 20% = €16 PLUS €3 BOOKING FEE = €19 - that's a 5% discount. Even if you bought 2 tickets that's €40 - €8 + €3 = €35 or a 12.5% saving. That's called false advertising and the airlines got done for it in Ireland recently when they said €10 flights which were actually €50 when you added taxes and booking fees. Very disappointing but you'll be glad to hear that one of Grey's fellow owners took sympathy on my plight and offered me a free ticket (and seat) which was gratefully accepted.

I've noticed that with some online booking for various tickets (not just racing) that by the time you add the booking fee you've saved sod all.

I was watching the races from the Curragh on sat and saw their race titled "20% off online booking at the curragh". Knowing that Grey and myself were heading down to wexford to see the horses and then onto the curragh for the Oaks I thought I'd be smart and buy online. €20 less 20% = €16 PLUS €3 BOOKING FEE = €19 - that's a 5% discount. Even if you bought 2 tickets that's €40 - €8 + €3 = €35 or a 12.5% saving. That's called false advertising and the airlines got done for it in Ireland recently when they said €10 flights which were actually €50 when you added taxes and booking fees. Very disappointing but you'll be glad to hear that one of Grey's fellow owners took sympathy on my plight and offered me a free ticket (and seat) which was gratefully accepted.

LOL you do make me laugh mate, nothing gets past you :lol:

Internet booking fees really are a rip-off. Why should we be charged for doing their work for them?

Don't bother coming back at me about upkeep of the site as a convenience to the public, IS. All the booking fee is is another way of extracting money.

If I'm going to be charged a booking fee anyway, I think I'll stick to using the 'phone and make 'em work for the money.

Last time I went to the 2000 Guineas (George Washington) Newmarket had the cheek to charge me a booking fee and extra for picking the tickets up at the gate. I haven't been there since, didn't even go to the July Cup this year.

I'm bringing this up again. Leopardstown launched their Irish Champion stakes marketing and there is a 10% discount for buying online: €20 to €18. But once again a €3 fee so that actually costs me more than on the day. And if a couple are going they save €1 on €40 or 2.5%. Another useless offer.:mad:

Last time I went to the 2000 Guineas (George Washington) Newmarket had the cheek to charge me a booking fee and extra for picking the tickets up at the gate. I haven't been there since, didn't even go to the July Cup this year.

If you want to go next year, it's worth keeping an eye on their website as this year they were advertising bagdes for the Sunday for half price if you purchased Saturday badges at the same time. It was only in very small print though so I would think a few people missed it and was only available if you phoned through to the ticket office, not online.

I'm bringing this up again. Leopardstown launched their Irish Champion stakes marketing and there is a 10% discount for buying online: €20 to €18. But once again a €3 fee so that actually costs me more than on the day. And if a couple are going they save €1 on €40 or 2.5%. Another useless offer.:mad:

If you have a Tote account you can get in for a tenner by presenting your card at the gate.

Back