When your luck's out...

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
F*ck f*ck f*ck

Before today I can't honestly remember the last time I had a bet with a bookie that didn't offer the best price guarantee.

Today I couldn't get any bets online because BOS's systems were down and they weren't authorising any transactions.

I started scouring my accounts to see what I had left and noticed I had 1pt left in my Blue Square account. They don't do BPG so I haven't bet with them for ages. Seeing they were jt-longest (10/1) about my fancy in the 3.45, Zafranagar, I decided to lump it on and hope it didn't start longer.

Fourteen to f*cking one.

Those lost four points represent a day's punting to me.

You just can't f*cking win.

Power failure at their Copley Data Centre, it took out all the ATMs as well.

Last edited:
If backing a 10-1 winner to lose 4pt on the day is bad luck Ive no sympathy for you. You should be gratefull you had 1pt in any account because I believe you said before you withdraw any winnings.

F*ck f*ck f*ck

Before today I can't honestly remember the last time I had a bet with a bookie that didn't offer the best price guarantee.

Today I couldn't get any bets online because BOS's systems were down and they weren't authorising any transactions.

I started scouring my accounts to see what I had left and noticed I had 1pt left in my Blue Square account. They don't do BPG so I haven't bet with them for ages. Seeing they were jt-longest (10/1) about my fancy in the 3.45, Zafranagar, I decided to lump it on and hope it didn't start longer.

Fourteen to f*cking one.

Those lost four points represent a day's punting to me.

You just can't f*cking win.

I don't like to mention he returned 17.40 on the Tote. :p ...still I can't have too much sympathy that you lumped on a 10/1 winner, especially as you didn't tell the rest of us!!!

Look at the bright side, at least you backed him. I thought he looked interesting enuff to put in a treble, which fell over, and did not back him on his own. Doh! The 10-1 looks good to me .......

I had a tiny £5 e/w @ 25s from Blue Square on SOUTHAMPTON - about time something helped me along! Only did it as they were at the post, so not enough time to share the thought that no McManus horse should trade that long. Nice horse, too - slogged his way gallantly into 2nd place.

If it's any consolation I've had similar luck (IMO) of late:

Yesterday having waited a week for the horse to be entered I backed the two Alan Jones horses at Cheltenham in two singles (win part greater than the place) and a double (again the win part bigger than the place) - Qhilimar at 33/1 and Secret Dancer at 25's. Was at the track to see Qhilimar travelling ok, pretty certain he wouldn't have been out of the frame only for him to come down two from home. Then watching Secret Dancer miss out 3 out and stay on up the hill to take third, again probably wouldn't have won but never the less it constitutes hitting the bar IMO.

Also had the same bet earlier in the week having checked the weather forecast and past form - According To Pete at 25/1 and Ronaldo Des Mottes at 10's. Pete was 5th and Ronaldo is likely to start at sub 5's.

Did manage to get 9/1 and 13/1 respectively about Hold Em and the Tom George horse in the last in place only betting so not all bad (though did miss out on Nick Williams Pistolet Noir having told anyone who'd listen he was a decent bet all morning).

Life goes on - just hoping Ronaldo can win tomorrow :)

What part of 'lumping on' encompasses having one point win?!

Most people would be very happy having backed a 10/1 winner!!

I fancied two for the weekend Razor Royale and According to Pete. Traditionally this weekend usually funds my season eg a while back Azertyuiop and Rooster generated almost six figures. Missed RR due to work commitments so went all in on ATP who ran no sort of race. If I had picked up would have had a decent bet on Harry Tricker tomorrow watch him fly in without my burden. Celebrating tomorrows birthday tonight and somewhat flat.

I might suggest that TATENEM is a dodgy prospect, after seeing his concerted efforts to say goodbye to his jockey today, a goal he eventually accomplished quite stylishly. Not very good at his obstacles, which is a bit of a negative in a jumper!

I fancied two for the weekend Razor Royale and According to Pete. Traditionally this weekend usually funds my season eg a while back Azertyuiop and Rooster generated almost six figures. Missed RR due to work commitments so went all in on ATP who ran no sort of race. If I had picked up would have had a decent bet on Harry Tricker tomorrow watch him fly in without my burden. Celebrating tomorrows birthday tonight and somewhat flat.

ATP needs further than 2m 4 I think. He has no gears and was left when the race got going. All he does is stay and will be seen in a better light over 3m plus though I thought he ran ok on Saturday.

According to Pete will be very interesting in the Hennessy should he line up.
With you there, Shadow.

Re the bad luck line ... saw a rainbow appear as the horses went out for the Paddy Power, just as I'm So Lucky went out (no, didn't back him). Bible Lord hasn't looked so good for ages, but withdrawn at the start. Other selection fell. Broke a tooth on a piece of chewing gum. Dentist cost all my winnings from Friday.

Agree on Pete for the Hennessy - don't think he ran badly at all the other day, he didn't seem to be jumping at any point.

He is not an extravagant jumper for sure Irish Stamp, he does not have a cut at his fences but is safe enough (famous last words). Over a longer trip, possibly extreme distances this style of jumping will not count against him so much.

With hindsight it might have been better for them to wait for the Fixed Brush Handicap Hurdle at Haydock which he won last year - would have ruled out the Hennessy by running in it but it's worth a fair few quid in its own right and chasers have a very good record in the race.

Yea, he trotted up that day in the fixed brush. The Welsh National seems worth considering to me later in the season, often soft ground, but I understand the owner is not keen on Chepstow for some reason.

The way Haydock is now its not going to suit galloping types, I think he'd be taken off his feet running in it.

Back