Which Day?

Simon

At the Start
If you were going to Cheltenham, of course plenty of you will be, would you go on Tuesday or Friday, if you could only choose one day?

I can't go all week, as much as I'd like to, but I'll be watching on TV all week, and am going to try and get there for one of the above days. On the one hand I want to see all the speed of the first day, including seeing Peddlers Cross smash the best Arkle in years, but on the other hand I want to see what will probably be Kauto Star's last Gold Cup. I've been to a couple of Gold Cups before, including Denman vs. Kauto Star I, but it's so bloody hard to decide.

Tuesday for sure. Gold Cup day is busier.

I'm going on the the Thursday this year but it wasn't my choice, it was the people I'm going with. I couldn't handle the Tuesday anyway what with the possie I'll have on Sprinter Sacre by then, I'd be too tense to enjoy it.

I originally had one ticket - and that was for Friday. Ive got a vested interest in horses running on Wednesday and possibly Tuesday though - and have just this second bought tickets for both days (even though Im apparently going to get one as a joint birthday/Christmas present, Im too scared to leave it too late for Wednesday and find that he cant get me one after all!!)
Last time I went as a watcher rather than a worker, it was on the Tuesday - and I thoroughly enjoyed the day - (though we were there parading, so it wasnt a complete day messing about!) so if I could only have the one day - I think Id stick with the tuesday.

that didnt help at all, did it....

I always go every day but Friday is an absolute nightmare!!!

Too many people let in, can't move.

Thursday is the quietest IMO....Ryanair and World Hurdle will never have the pull of CH QM and GC

Last edited:
My honest answer would probably be none of them. There's busy racedays and then there's too-busy racedays, and the Festival falls too squarely into the latter category for this milquetoast.

Besides which, some bugger has to cover the "away" meetings during Festival week, and I love doing those. I can genuinely say that little gave me more pleasure professionally last year than Spotlighting the Hexham four-miler on the Thursday!

If it's a gun-to-the-head decision that I absolutely have to make, though, I'd plump for the Tuesday of the Festival. Sobriety levels seem to be least worst; facilities are in the best condition they'll be all week; and the cross-country chase that day is second only to the Foxhunter in terms of races I like the most (just ahead of the National Hunt Chase).

gc

Last edited:
Go the Tuesday. The build up to the supreme is unreal, you get to see some of the better races, CH, Arkle etc. Its a no brainer for me.

A vote for Tuesday for me too: Supreme, Arkle, 3m Handicap, Champion Hurdle, XC, Mares Hurdle, 2m5f Novices' Handicap. Really good all round card.

Superb stuff and the sense of anticipation before the Supreme is brilliant.

Another vote for Tuesday from me - Supreme/Arkle/Champ Hurdle is a fantastic trio followed up by the X-Country which I have grown to love now...

I’ll be there all 4 days with seats in the Grandstand. Is pricey, but worth every penny to avoid the crush, particularly on Friday when also suffering from fatigue!

I go for the entire week about every third year, but at least the Tuesday every year and Gold Cup day when Denman is running.

I agree Tues is an always has been best. Although I`ll be there all the week with the boys,and on Friday the old Woman joins me in the OT bar. All day in the Mandarin
and all night in The Plough and the Puesdown on the way home. Another review of the form on the way bck in the car in the morning. Lovely

Tuesday is my vote,best day by far for me.went on Wednesday last year [hospitality] which was good day.sprinter,peddlers,AF cue card menorah the fly Quevega amongst others it will be a while before you could put such quality on one card again

Wednesday or Tuesday. I would not go to a Gold cup day again unless i paid a fortune for a seat.

We alternate between those days each year.

In 25 years of attending only tried more than one day once and it doesn't work for me. Juts a bit too much

I'll vote for the Tuesday as well although any day at the festival is a fantastic day out imo

Last edited:
Unless your 7ft tall for the ordinary racegoer the place is a nightmare and the only reason for going is to say "I was there"

I'd go for the Tuesday most years as I love the Champion Hurdle and the thought of seeing Sprinter Sacre beating everything out of sight in the Arkle would be the highlight of the meeting for me.

However this year, perhaps the last chance to see Kauto Star? I'd make an exception and go Gold Cup day. What a buzz if he were to win.

Last edited:
Back