Who said Alan Berry can't train?!

Colin Phillips

At the Start
His Look Busy wins a Group 3 at The Curragh this afternoon.

Is there any truth in the story that his father is back at Cockerham, or is it a filthy rumour?

Either way, she's come a hell of a long way for a filly that was pulled up after about 20 yds on her debut at Ripon last May. She's fast becoming my favourite horse this year despite never ever backing her.

Stuck out like a sore thumb today purely on trainer having a runner at the track and leaving a jockey who couldn't claim keep the ride.
I don't know a lot about the horse but she could be better then the bare result suggests.A crack at the Abbaye might be worthwhile.

I doubt he could have claimed anyway as he would have been fairly near his minimum weight.
Fair play to the horse who has done nothing but improve and deserved the group victory.

An absolute legend of a horse, fast becoming my horse of the year ahead of Natagora. Apparently she's having a short holiday, I hope that short holiday is to Paris the first weekend of October.

Who said Alan Berry can't train?

Rosselli does.

During the father's time, ran 18 times (May 98 - Sept 00): won 4 times, placed twice.

Ran for the son 58 times after his taking over: placed 6 times.
Son's first run, 28th September 2000.
Rosselli departed this earth at Ayr, 20th July 2004 -- the kindest relief, possibly.

He could win both Guineas, Derby, Juddmonte & Champion, Grand National & Cheltenham Gold Cup plus sports personality of the year & then I would have as much time for him as I presently have, which is zero and that's too much.

Regards

Kate Boo, won 6 times from 2 to 6 and placed 15 times. I know the family and they all have bad legs. He must be able to train.

Fair enough, as far as KB goes.
However, my feelings are dead set against him.

It's a weakness, an emotional reaction from when I'd heard Rosselli had died on the racetrack.
I'd followed his earlier fortunes and watched in dismay when this (to me) previously fine but moderate horse was in my opinion raced into the ground and then actually died doing so.

The first duty of a trainer, surely, is the health & welfare of the horses he has in his care. That comes way before winning, doesn't it?

It's my opinion (untutored) this was not the case with Rosselli.

Regards

His last 58 runs, - latest first, are as follows.
This horse was going nowhere and nearer last than first so many times.
Racing above his class? I don't think so.
Push your luck -- or your horse? -- and 'accidents' just seem to happen, I think.
[FONT=&quot]F/7 -- 8/8 -- 8/11 -- 10/12 -- 11/12 -- 7/8 -- 13/15 -- 4/4 -- 4/6 -- 14/17 -- 10/10 -- 6/6 -- 3/4 -- 11/18 -- 9/15 -- 7/19 -- 8/13 -- 3/9 -- 11/11 -- 15/20 -- 13/14 -- 11/13 -- 15/18 -- 6/17 -- 3/17 -- 6/8 -- 11/14 -- 5/8 -- 11/16 -- 3/8 -- 4/6 -- 2/5 -- 9/11 -- 11/22 -- 9/14 -- 5/8 -- 7/9 -- 9/11 -- 9/9 -- 5/5 -- 2/6 -- 10/11 -- 16/18 -- 23/28 -- 5/6 -- 13/13 -- 6/10 -- 6/8 -- 3/7 -- 10/12 -- 5/20 -- 9/11 -- 5/5 -- 9/10 -- 5/20 -- 17/18 -- 14/15 -- 17/18[/FONT]

Regards

the horse may have not enjoyed retirement and also he ran in alot of those appearence money races, surely the owners as much as thought as a trainer, as they have a say if it should be retired.

Rosselli's life ended while he was owned by his trainer.
Take the point about appearance money possibly being a motivating factor, I'd forgotten about those .....

Will be interesting to read the views on others on her performance today.Looked like she was going to win but flattened out on the last half furlong.

Needs dropping back to 5f and they should jock Slade O'Hara off, no matter how good a record he has on her.

Back