Who's McCoy going to ride??

jamesthomson

At the Start
My money's on L'Ami after he took a tumble on Butler's Cabin last year.

Either way, I'm backing him in the hope that I get my year's Racing UK subscription refunded when he wins!

At least you were a little more discreet this time jamesthomson regarding RUK compared to your other post!!:D

I'm delighted. My views on AP's style and seat around the big fences at Aintree are well known, and I'm very happy indeed with Choc Thornton on L'Ami - he grew up hunting like all the Irish jocks - his dad is an MFH. He's almost an under-rated jockey in my book; I rate him very highly indeed

I did back Butler's Cabin last year e/w. But now I'd also be worried about BC running out of puff - he finished dehydrated and went down after his race at Cheltenham, so he had a hard enough race there. AP is on record this morning as saying that was one of the hardest decisions of his life as he can't really split them.

Haivng said all that I'd love to see AP win the the GN, which of us wouldn't, and the horse too come to that. He's a bonny fighter

That is true! and I was thinking that myself as I wrote the above. But I don't think he's been on the right sort of horse before. He's quite a bit younger than AP too!

I'd say if AP has gone for Butler's Cabin, he can't really fancy the chances too much of anything else he was offered.

Not sure, Desert Orchid. He was going well when coming down last year and he'd be one of my main fancies for this year's renewal.

Last edited:
I was told he's on Butlrs's Cabin the money's been comming as well but I laid him in the place markt. and will again he will be falsley short price if you ask me.

At least BC might get the trip - I see no reason why My Will should... furthest he's ever gone is 28 flgs, once - he did win that, a G3 at cheltenham but the oppo was poor - and he's never seen the GN fences. So I'd lay My Will before I'd lay BC!

I should be fascinated to know which of AP's recent rides in this race fell due to AP's seat ?

At least BC might get the trip - I see no reason why My Will should... furthest he's ever gone is 28 flgs, once - he did win that, a G3 at cheltenham but the oppo was poor - and he's never seen the GN fences. So I'd lay My Will before I'd lay BC!

I think that a horse having won over 3m4f is a plus point stamina-wise.

I don't fancy him myself, but I reckon that few National winners had winning form in excess of 28f before their wins.

My Will has twice run third in the Whitbread (29½ furlongs with an uphill finish) on reportedly unsuitably fast ground.

Stamina would be less of a concern compared with a few other well fancied runners.

Well I checked out his record quite carefully, and it doesn't appeal to me. I've got a shortlist of 6 now - only one of which I've backed antepost but I've part laid off the others due to change of ground! - and he ain't on it. Ruby is a plus of course, and I have a habit lately of getting the placed horses and ignoring the winner LOL

Btw Ruby was recently quoted explaining why he and AP can't be compared, and I DO think the reason he gave is relevant to the GN: "I'm all legs. AP's got very short legs, he's all torso". AP has come off more often than he's got round; Choc Thornton rides very short as well even tho he has longer legs than AP, and has also come off quite often over these fences. Whereas Sam W-C who has ridden round the GN course many times, won a few, and iirc has never come off over them, rides very long with an old-fashioned 'hunting seat'...

Back