Why was the BBC at Longchamp?

montyracing2

At the Start
A number of discussions on the TH forum have prompted me to think about the future of British horseracing, many views pointing at a very difficult time ahead.

Could British horse-racing exist without the influence of big bookmakers i.e. take itself back to the early sixties?

I think there is every reason to believe it could. This message might not suit the heavy/daily gamblers among us (and I enjoy betting to small stakes) but if racing is to be successful then perhaps it should think the unthinkable.

Returning to Longchamp, did this meeting further the British racing industry (breeding, racing or otherwise)? I think not, but I’m sure it furthered French racing.

Why did so many British race-goers spend hundreds/thousands of pounds dressing up, getting there and partying there?

Why did the BBC spend hundreds of thousands covering a race meeting when it has reduced its commitment to UK meetings?

Perhaps those who support UK racing should review where/how they spend their hard-earned cash and the UK racing authorities plot a course that suits UK racing rather than big business!

Perhaps the effort made to get to Lonchamp points to a well of enthusiasm that UK racing should tap into.

MR2

Not one iota in terms of furthering British racing. I remember the days when they broadcast all the group races on each of the two days and I'm only 24!!

There coverage was full of inacurate statements too such as "Rosanara has been backed in to odds on on the PMU", well not really she was 1.60 in the morning and started at 1.90 - a pretty decent drift if anything.

I was gutted and disappointed they did not cover the full sunday as they used to.. One of my favourite race days of the year turned into a one race programme.. They barely mentioned the Prix De L'Opera until they were at the start. It would not have hurt to dedicate five minutes to paddock inspection and some decent comment, although with only Carson and Persad it was probably wise they didn't..

MR,

Not sure why you're so down on the BBC covering the Arc and people travelling across. I can't imagine there is a better and more enjoyable meeting in Europe, and no card in the world (for me) compares. Added to this, you get to stay in a fantastic city, from which the course is a mere 2/3 miles, and to which admission is €8, not £30+ for cards which do not involve even 1 Group race.

It's the best meeting of the season. End of.

I'd rather go there than any other meeting in the UK and it'll cost me a similar amount even when you include travel.

Back