William Hill, Cross Country And Fred Winter

Bobbyjo

At the Start
Can get a bit messy tomorrow but most other races have threads. Probably best to cordon these three off into one of their own.

William Hill Chase. Had a few quid on Bob Hall and Mon Mome last week as per the longshots thread. But what can you say about Patsy Hall when you consider connections and course form? Could be anything still.

But the ones who have slipped down the handicap have plenty of ability too, like L'Ami and even Monkerhostin. Hard to have a strong opinion on this.

All the usual participants battling it out in the X Country. I wonder if Casadei is a tad overpriced in the RP tissue whereas I had a few quid on a A New Story last week on the basis he might take to them. All in all, though, it's a bit too close to call for me to have a strong opinion either.

As for the Fred Winter, despite Ashkazar, I am big in on River Liane and even more confident after Made In Taipan's comfortable win on Sunday. He's very well in. So is Ashkazar, you might say, but it's an intriguing contest and that's before you consider the other 22 runners.

Plenty of horses with three runs that may have been primed for this. But I still think the top two have any amount in hand and the weight differential has me strongly favouring the River.

Very tricky races...gutted Pires met with a set back as he was laid out all season for this.

I think Freneys Well could go well in the Cross Country.

Patsy Hall for me in a big way in the William Hill. Think the horse is nicely weighted, has won at the distance and the course, and hopefully will get a ride similar to that Carberry gave Frenchmans Creek a few years back!! Still one that sticks in my mind til this day.

I like both Crack Away Jack and Zanir in the Fred Winter, with preference for the former. I thought his win at Sandown was very impressive; he looked the winner from a long, long way out despite being anchored off the pace for much of the race. He looks a lovely sort for the future. Likewise Zanir is a likeable type with a lovely physique who is improving with every run.

Le Duc has got very solid course form and has a nice enough mark. I follow this horse very closely, and I think he has held his form remarkably since his juvenile hurdling days.

I have no idea about the Fred Winter, but I will probably be laying the two favourites (not for big money). They are scandalously short coupled, when one considers the amount of plot horses in the race.

The William Hill is there for the taking from a classy horse dropped in the weights. I need to study it in more depth, but something like King Harald could go well.

Originally posted by Galileo@Mar 10 2008, 06:15 PM
Very tricky races...gutted Pires met with a set back as he was laid out all season for this.

I think Freneys Well could go well in the Cross Country.
Was the setback that there look to be two better handicapped horses in the race I wonder? :rolleyes:

As I put up Grand Schlem for the Triumph in the outsiders thread, I'm sticking with him in the Fred Winter.

My biggest bets tomorrow are Sizing Europe - mostly win bet, small place [also place on Katchit];
and King Harald W&P in the Wm Hill. Both at decent prices - I've been on SE for a long time- since Dec

I've also got far too many bets on the Supreme - 2 wins and 3 places! - so will prob cancel myself out there

Arkle: I'm on An Accordion e/w at 14 [done before the rain!] and Noland to win @ 11 on BF
Also Kruguyrova @ 4.00 for the place

I'm not doing the last two races til I see what becomes of these earlier bets, but will put the principals in my PP

King Harald My bet of the meeting pulled out as I approach the course. No money returned . What a superb start!

Back