Willie Mullins - Best Training Performance?

• Thread starter Thread starter numbersix
  • Start date Start date
N

numbersix

Keaveney just finished second at Roscommon in the 7.30. The horse had been off with injury (I presume) for over 800 days.

He was only just beaten by 1/2 length (hopefully he wins ni the stewards room!!).

Is this the best training performance of all time?

Keaveney just finished second at Roscommon in the 7.30. The horse had been off with injury (I presume) for over 800 days.

He was only just beaten by 1/2 length (hopefully he wins ni the stewards room!!).

Is this the best training performance of all time?

Have you had a few drinks?

Keavney was a nice animal before he got injured.The owner buys them for good money and named this one after his good friend and great Dublin footballer Jimmy.He has had success with Ebaziyan , Mr Hight, Jayo and others. I'd say this one is going to Galway and than Killarney,Killarney possibly being his big target.He prefers better ground.

I was actually being serious (although he didn;t win in the stewards room).

How many other trainers have brought back a horse after such a long lay off to be competitive in their first race back?

Thanks for the info Sheikh. I suppose the dreaded "bounce" theory has to be factored into any bets at Ballybrit? It is nice of the owner to have kept the horse in training and given him a chance to come back as opposed to selling him to pull a cart in India or some such. Pity there weren't a lot more like him.

From off the top of my head, Martin Brassil getting Nickname to absolutely hose-up in his maiden chase, after nearly 2 years off the track, was an immeasurably better training performance.

Ditto Rishk Of Thunder's multiple La Touche cups.

Irish, I saw Al Capone parade before the Jousselin last November. I think I was one of about 8 people in the stands clapping as he went by - I don't reckon the locals had a clue about the strength of his on-track achievements.

Richard Lee winning with Delius after a (count them) five year absence and managing to get him to win the 3 mile novice chase at Aintree that season.

Didnt Nick Dundee win his comeback after being crippled. There are countless better training efforts of getting horses back on the track to win better races that the one that Keaveney was second in. (at Roscommon....) And there are even more countless better training performance in general.

Regarding Willie Mullins, for keeping a horse like Adamant Approach on the go for so long and keeping his enthusiasm. That’s the toughest thing to do.

Back